Wild Python question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the site and just an interested/fascinated observer of nature and in this case the carpet python who has been visiting my suburban backyard over the last 10 years. Harry/Harriet is currently in my large birdbath and has been there since Christmas eve! Is he/she OK? I noticed his eye cloud over 3 days ago which makes me think he's shedding, but does it usually take this long? Nothing else seems to be changing so far.
The first picture was taken in July as he was dining on a baby rat he found among my orchids. The next 2 are the bird bath.
I love his/her visits, and don't interfere but would get help if there was something wrong.

Attachments

• Harry 1.jpg
    Harry 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • Harry 2.jpg
    Harry 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Harry 3.jpg
    Harry 3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
It sounds like Harry is doing fine, milky eyes mean a shed is getting closer maybe another week or so. Being in the birdbath is a good thing as the shed will come off in 1 go as he is well hydrated

You're located in townsville, this beautiful boy/girl is escaping the heat using the birdbath to stay cool, while snakes require warmth to digest their food, they don't need to be cooking all the time and just like every other animal in the heat will find ways to cool down. Cloudy is shed coming up, they clear up and about a week after they clear they'll shed. Dragonlover is right that it'll be a nice clean full one as it's staying nice and hyrdrated, keep an eye out for it and if you get it before it completely dries you can spread it out nice and flat should be a good one to see.

Hi All, I'm new to the site and just an interested/fascinated observer of nature and in this case the carpet python who has been visiting my suburban backyard over the last 10 years. Harry/Harriet is currently in my large birdbath and has been there since Christmas eve! Is he/she OK? I noticed his eye cloud over 3 days ago which makes me think he's shedding, but does it usually take this long? Nothing else seems to be changing so far.
The first picture was taken in July as he was dining on a baby rat he found among my orchids. The next 2 are the bird bath.
I love his/her visits, and don't interfere but would get help if there was something wrong.
Hi,

Are you sure it's the same snake? The photo of the one eating the rat looks to have different patterning to the second and third pics of the snake in the bird bath.

Either way as mentioned above the one in the second and third pics is in shed.

Cheers, George.

Back