Neuro?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Could some one explain neuro in snakes to me?
I understand it’s neurological problems but is it life threatening? Does it get worse?

Im lead to believe my little baby albino darwin is showing signs of neuro!

She is very uncoordinated when on my arm, she wraps herself up causing her to have to go backwards ALOT.

She also has moments where she will just let go for a split second almost like a seizure, sometimes she’s fallen off (not far thankfully) so I now handle with 2 hands rather than letting her sit on one hand/ arm.
Not sure if related but she hatched on the 1/1/17

Does this sound like neuro to you?

I still love her no matter the outcome! She’s just a little bit more special <3

Last edited:
Neuro usually occurs in jaguars yes

But neuro can also be shown in animals that’s heating is to high, have been exposed to chemicals or poisons etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If u haven't already I'd be quarantining your other snake/s. is it poss it's an albino jag?

If u haven't already I'd be quarantining your other snake/s. is it poss it's an albino jag?
I’ve been told and shown the parents are both pure albino darwin.

Why should I be quarantining? Is it contagious or do you think it’s sunshine virus? :(

Heating is fine, sits at 33°c during the day at warm end, 27°c~ at night with cooler end at 24-20 respectively.
Neuro usually occurs in jaguars yes

But neuro can also be shown in animals that’s heating is to high, have been exposed to chemicals or poisons etc

None of these seem possible, MAYBE the heating how ever as I said to prof_moreliaty those are the the temps she gets to.

Sunshine virus and other viruses can cause neuro symptoms so quarantining is a good idea.

@pinefamily it would depend on how long the heat was at dangerous temperatures and if it caused damage neurologically

Better to be safe than sorry mate if it's a virus

I’ll go into a bit more detail now that I’m on break.
I rushed and feel like I made things sound worse

She doesn’t stargaze which I guess is a common symptom for viruses

The signs I said are they only abnormalities, however the seizure thing isn’t really a “seizure” and has only happened once. What happened was she was sitting on my arm and just let go randomly and fell on my bed.

She’s not THAT uncoordinated (she doesn’t wobble and shake) however she does move around and when she decides to wrap around my arm usually her head gets caught under a decent length of tail and by a lot I mean maybe like once or twice in an hour.

Sorry for the rush Of using over exaggerating words.
I am genuinely concerned about her so I guess I wrote it like it’s an emergency. I’ll definitely be taking her to a vet on Wednesday or Thursday as I’m not free till then.

There are a lot of breeders that do not positively know the pedigree of their albinos, unless you can trace the line back to Blondie and her original mates you cannot be sure. If the breeder acquired the parents from anywhere other than Southern Cross there is some doubt as to ancestry.

There are a lot of breeders that do not positively know the pedigree of their albinos, unless you can trace the line back to Blondie and her original mates you cannot be sure. If the breeder acquired the parents from anywhere other than Southern Cross there is some doubt as to ancestry.
He mentioned that they were pure blondie line

Blondie or the other one whose name escapes me. White Phoenix, or something similar.

Blondie or the other one whose name escapes me. White Phoenix, or something similar.
It is indeed white Phoenix, he died in a house fire :( and had very limited babies I believe

Bl69ze. What you describe could be interpretted as Neuro but could also be typical young hatchling behaviour.
Admittedly I don't have Darwins but small hatchy Diamonds can be quite comical with their lack of 'co-ordination' for want of a better word.
Give it 3-6 months with some food and muscle development and see how it goes from there.

KC is corrrect and I admit I did only speed read the post this morning. Heat can cause problems similar and can be deadly over a prolonged period. 33 degrees is fine Bl69ze but is this a hot spot temp where the animal can get away from if it so chooses?

Not sure it's true but I have heard a rumour from someone who would know that "White Phoenix" was actually a "Blondie" albino and presented as a new line to enable a lot to be sold to breeders wanting new blood. The animal was mysteriously lost in a fire after a prospective purchaser asked for DNA tests.

Last edited:
Not sure it's true but I have heard a rumour from someone who would know that "White Phoenix" was actually a "Blondie" albino and presented as a new line to enable a lot to be sold to breeders wanting new blood. The animal was mysteriously lost in a fire after a prospective purchaser asked for DNA tests.
Interesting. One of our albinos is from both lines, the other just Blondie, and confident of the breeding origins of both.
Hopefully it is just a case of juvenile lack of coordination, Bl69aze.

Sounds like something someone would do for some $$$

Interesting. One of our albinos is from both lines, the other just Blondie, and confident of the breeding origins of both.
Hopefully it is just a case of juvenile lack of coordination, Bl69aze.

I hope so too, I was talking to the person who has my babies sister and she said she does the same thing! This made me feel a lot better as she works very close with the breeder and is 100% sure it’s pure darwin.

Bl69ze. What you describe could be interpretted as Neuro but could also be typical young hatchling behaviour.
Admittedly I don't have Darwins but small hatchy Diamonds can be quite comical with their lack of 'co-ordination' for want of a better word.
Give it 3-6 months with some food and muscle development and see how it goes from there.

KC is corrrect and I admit I did only speed read the post this morning. Heat can cause problems similar and can be deadly over a prolonged period. 33 degrees is fine Bl69ze but is this a hot spot temp where the animal can get away from if it so chooses?
I have a hide on both sides admittedly the one on the cooler end is a bit smaller than the warm end but haven’t been able to find anything suitable, would a tea bag box suit? Or would the smells drive her insane?

When our pythons were juveniles, we used tea bag boxes, biscuit boxes, anything cardboard that wasn't going to harm them and was easily disposed of after them messing in it. Don't think we ever bought a hide. Even as adults, plastic cat litter trays from the cheap shops make great hides, with a hole cut in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back