Feeding and heat sources ????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaki

Reaction score
hello all :)) so sorry for the long post
2 questions, I haven’t had snakes for a very long time and I’m going through my first winter with my babies (my first python I got in December, second in February)

1. My first carpet is 1yr old in October - she has always been a perfect feeder, eats perfectly every time, my other snake however is a little gremlin and has only just recently been eating well. But of course when one problem ends another arises 🤪

My first carpet now isn’t eating as well as she normally does 🥲 I was thinking maybe because it’s winter she doesn’t have as much energy?? Or maybe because she’s getting older she’s telling me she doesn’t need feeds as often now? But recently she’ll go weeks without eating which is really unlike her.

just wanted to ask is this normal? She’s never ever been fussy and I think the only thing that’s changed is the weather lately so it’s the only thing I can think of :(

I don’t know if I should be concerned or if this kind of thing is regular and I shouldn’t worry - just after such a ****ty experience with my 2nd snake feeding I’m worried my 1st is now going to have issues 🥲

2. I know some people just have heat on throughout the day and some people do it 24/7. Is there a preferred standard here? Is heat at night unnecessary or is it preferable to have it on 24/7

I normally use a heat lamp and it’s always kind of been my go-to considering it replicates the natural basking behaviour, but does anyone prefer heat mats for any particular reason? Is one better over the other or is it just personal preference? Should I have a lamp during the day and a mat at night?

Thanks so much everyone :) hopefully all is fine but just wanted a second opinion just incase there’s anything I can be doing better

Back