Newby and Son

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tryonreef

Hi to all this is Scott here .I would like to introduce
Myself and my eight year old son Brant ,we are both relative new comers to the world of snakes.We now have a young Childrens Python that my boy has named Patrick .We have had him/her for about 6 weeks and is a very well tempered snake that has not even looked like biting so far. It is also feeding on live mice that we purchase from our local pet shop and will eat them readily with out too mich fuss. I have a pic attached to show off our little snake if any one is interested.

welcome to the site

:shock: and uhhh i could see some interesting posts coming your way
so ill just back away slowly

hi and welcome!
can i ask why you feed live mice? its not good for either the rodent or the snake....
im sure alot of people here will arc up about it!
cheers!

Matt

PS. very nice looking maccie u have there!

welcome to the site........
:| ps could one of the mods please resize the pic.......... :shock: its a lil hard on the eyes

Welcome to the site mate.

Feeding live mice isn’t good for the snake because it could carry worms or other parasites
so I advise you stare giving it defrosted frozen mice and get your snake wormed or get some worm rid and inject the required dose in to the
Dead rodent... Don’t let people make you feel too bad about giving your snake live food, as you said you are new to this hobby, when I was starting out I did the same thing and im sure
A lot other people here have too.
So I hope you fell welcome to this site coz it is one of the best if not the best forum on Australian reptiles out there

Welcome mate I hope you and your son enjoy and learn allot

Cheers Alumba

Hello again, the mice that I feed the snake are from the pet shop and this is the advice given to me by a snake breeder that works there . Cheers Scott

Tryonreef said:
Hello again, the mice that I feed the snake are from the pet shop and this is the advice given to me by a snake breeder that works there . Cheers Scott

Maybe the key word there was PET SHOP. I think it might be a good idea to start getting advice from here, you'll know what I mean when you have been on here a while

Welcome to the site and the herp world :D

Petshop..A bum steer !

Thanks to all the replies, and yes this is a fantastic site and very informative. It sounds like some so called "petspop reptile experts" do not always give sound advice. I will try using the frozen food from now on ,thanks once again ....Scott

re-configured snake pic

Hi to all , the original pic that I sent before was very hard to view due to the size,so here is a amaller version...Scott

RE: re-configured snake pic

hi there and welcome to the site..........every one go easy on him he is only new to pythons
and does not know that PET SHOP'S are not always right but thats what we are here for to HELP OUT.
and you have a nice looking python there mate.

Hi Krusty Welcome on APS
I deleted the first large picture. The small one is perfect.
Regarding the subject feeding life food I would recommend you to go to search option on this site (top of this page in middle)
Type in feeding life and you will get lot of information from other snake lovers. That should give you good guide line what to do.

Welcome! how old is your maccie do you know?

Welcome to the world of snakes and the site.

ENJOY!!

Welcome to a great site, APS is a wealth of knowledge and opinions which has helped me learn a lot about pythons and caring for them... :)
P.S your son is lucky, i wish my parents bought me a python when I was his age!

Hi Scott & Brant,

Welcome to the site. You ahve defintely come to the right place for herp assistance.

As for the live feedign thing. Firstly, what you are doing is what most of us did through the 80's and early 90's. We all fed live mice to our snakes. How many of us can honestly say we never fed live rodents to our snakes back then?

Also, I don't know where you got yoru snake but it is possible that it has always been fed live rodents so moving him to thawed may not just be a case of throwing a dead rat into his cage. But anyway, get a dead one and thaw it out in hot water. with some long tweezers or something figgle the rat in front of the snake (of course, this can also be a mouse - use the same rodents as you have been so the smell is the same).

Hopefully he will take it. If not then rub the rodent up and down the side of his belly. This may cause him to instinctively coil around the rodent. That will also help.

If you still have no luck. Let us know where you are and I am certain someone from here will happily come and help.

But either way, cease the live feeding. there is no benefit to your snake but there are certainly dangers.

As for the live feedign thing. Firstly, what you are doing is what most of us did through the 80's and early 90's. We all fed live mice to our snakes. How many of us can honestly say we never fed live rodents to our snakes back then?

I've never fed live and never will. :D:D

The biggest risk you run is the mouse attacking the snake if it is left in the enclosure and the snake is not hungry. May sound funny, but I assure you, the snake won't and your vet bill won't be cheap either and that is if the vet does not confiscate the animal from you due to cruelty to animals.

I understand you are new and am by know means having a go at you, but more so that you realise what can happen as it can and will happen.

Apart from that...LOL, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it and get plenty of useful advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back