Northern Velvet Gecko Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilegirl2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am getting a pair of Northern Velvet geckos soon and if possible can anyone give me some care information? All information is appreciated!

Cheers,
Chrisina

Keep them with a warm area 32+ degree or so where they can soak up the heat best done by a heat cord
Feed them often
Don't give them somewhere cool and dark to hide
Adults i keep in 30l starmaid tubs with tile stacks on a heat cord and sand
babys i keep in 10l sistema clickclack containers on a heat cord with a few plastic pot lids to hide under

Last edited:
thanks a lot! what do u mean by 32 degrees plus? should i set the heat cord to 32 degrees? also, should i provide them with any hides at all?

Hey, the Oedura are pretty much all the same thing although slightly varying in temperature with some of the more southern species. Basically arboreal style terrarium/tubs, red desert sand, climbing material such as branches and such, ground hide or two, water bowl and some decor. Heatmat/cord under one end set to roughly 30-35 degrees, just make sure you have a thermometer in case in hot weather things heat up a bit too much.

Don't have an all year round temperature due to the cooling down period, although if I did I'd set the heatmat to 32 or 33. Oh and remember to give them a spray 2-3 times a week, its very important for Oedura species especially the species from northern QLD & NT.

Depends, its more for humidity which down here in VIC there isn't much of. Water bowls should suffice although it is beneficial in cooler/less-tropical climates and on hot days. As I said for the northern QLD and NT species I'd recommend it but if it was up to me I'd have accurate day-night cycles/temps and only keep plants found in their natural range. For me I'd love to be able to keep all my species in setups that mimic their natural habitat and climate as closely as possible. Unfortunately down here in VIC and in my current situation that is not possible. One day!

Cheers Scotty Herps! You seem to be an expert in this field! Do you know how often Northern Velvets lay clutches after being cooled in the winter?

Laying will usually begin 6 weeks or so before the temperature exceeds 25 degrees after cooling. There will then be a 4-8 week interval between each clutch. 3-4 clutches is the norm but 5 is not uncommon.

I gave my pair a close to 40 degree warm end and a tile stack in a 30l tub with bunnings play sand
heated 24/7 still laid 3-4 clutches 3 years in a row before i sold them.

Cooling isn't 100% necessary but I still prefer to do it, as I said I like to replicate their natural environment as much as I can.

Have you seen them drink from it?
If not I would still spray at least twice a week.

Yes, I have witnessed them drinking from it a few times.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you seen them drink from it?
If not I would still spray at least twice a week.

Yes, I have witnessed them drinking from it a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back