Olive age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
I was reading that Olive pythons only get to 11-12 years old whereas bredlis get to 20+ years.

can there really be such a huge difference in ages?

Doesn't sounds completely right. I've been told that the best breeding results aren't achieved until 8 years of age.

I have heard of reliable anecdotal evidence of people having them in captivity of around 25 years. I think the info you have looked up may be based on wild life expectancy.

it did say captive, but i hope ur right.

Longevity
Frank and Kate Slavens on their internet website list a record of 11 years and 3 months for longevity in a male Olive python reported by Chris Banks at Melbourne Zoo (http://www.drb.org/slavens/longev.html). Moran (198 reports 12 years as longevity in an Olive python. Female number 12 was the longest lived of the original breeders, obtained as an adult in December, 1988 and died on 9 th. July, 2000, a captive age of 11 years and 8 months. Female number 7 was purchased as a hatchling in 1987 and sold in 1998, a captive time of 11 years. Male number 3 lived for 11 years in captivity; it was purchased as a hatchling in 1986 and died in 1997. Female number 4 was purchased as a hatchling in 1986 and lived for twelve years until 1988.

25 years sounds ALOT better :)
maybe breeding takes it out of them,..!?

Well i have only been into herps for about 4 years but i know of a couple olives that i can't be sure of the exact age but are atleast 10 and they looked pretty healthy. I would think atleast 15. But i really don't know much about it at all, just from what others have told me.

thats cool, thanks fro that, i really cant understand y they'd have such a short life span compared to others,..maybe not enough research into their actual life span,.!? :)

if anyone else has any knowledge of others living fro longer than that, please let me know,..... :)

Dont know exactly. But it is easily plausible that they have different lifespans. Just look at every other animal and the different sub species with varying life spans. Dont get caught up over it.

11-12 years is just so short, i dont know if i want an pet that can die so soon.

dogs all get within similar ages, these apparently get to half the age of other pythons.

I know olives suffer alot of over feeding and being to fat, maybe it could be a result of us feeding to much compaired to what they would in the wild

The guy at 'Scales and Tails' in Adelaide said they can live for about 50 years or possibly more. Dunno if its true but definately possible.

I know olives suffer alot of over feeding and being to fat, maybe it could be a result of us feeding to much compaired to what they would in the wild

Probably the diet consisting of high fat food like adult rats, in the wild mamals only make a up some of the diet and those mamals would be lower in fat than rats anyway. Lack of exercise may play a role too maybe. 12 years is a short life for any python i would have thought.

sounds wrong to me, maybe they fed them to much/often, olives need metabolic rest for longliveity.
Alot of olives ive seen in captivity are disgustingly over weigth, with an array of fat rings,( creases), around their bodies.
This, imo will cut any pythons life expectancy in half.

well, i hope its wrong, cos i really like them.

i could see fat rings on a python shortening its lifespan,...so if i get one i'll make sure it grows slowly and i dont over feed.

what would be a lower fat food than rats?

thanks fro the replies everyone! :)

Probably the only thing that you will be able to get as snake food that will have a lower fat than rats would be poultry. But they make your snakes poo very smelly.

it did say captive, but i hope ur right.

Female number 12 was the longest lived of the original breeders, obtained as an adult in December, 1988 and died on 9 th. July, 2000, a captive age of 11 years and 8 months. quote]

Hey mate that is 12 years as a captive, she was caught as an adult, she may have already been 10 years plus when captured. I'm sure they would live longer then 12 years in captivity.

chris,- rats are fine to feed them, thats all my olives get and i have never had a problem.
IMO where the problem lies is in the actual breeding of the rats, most people that breed their own rats and most breeders that supply rats to the hobby, breed them in those horrible little plastic boxes on a rack system. IMO this is asking for trouble long term, as they get no exersize and end up fat and unhealthy. Then they get sold/feed to your snakes and slowly kill your animals from an excsessive fat build up. I have seen this happen many times over the years especially in animals like bhps.
All my rats are bred in bath tubs and get as much exersize as they want and none of them ever get fat and unhealthy like those that are bred in small tubs.
I only feed what i breed and DONOT ever get rats off any one thats breeds rats in those small tubs.

well that makes sense,..ya know, u are what u eat and all that!! :)

i might just have to start breeding then and find someone who can kill them fro me,...i just dont think i could do the killing part myself,...!!

Junglepython,..the rest were purchased as hatchies and didnt go over 12 years either,....

Female number 7 was purchased as a hatchling in 1987 and sold in 1998, a captive time of 11 years. Male number 3 lived for 11 years in captivity; it was purchased as a hatchling in 1986 and died in 1997. Female number 4 was purchased as a hatchling in 1986 and lived for twelve years until 1988.

i'd really like to believe its because they were fat and unhealthy though...and that a reasonably long life is possible with the proper care.

I don't think this bloke got so big in only 12years;)

Attachments

• KimberlyFishing.jpg
    KimberlyFishing.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back