Stimson python enclosure size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverell

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an 18-month-old Stimmie (I say 18 months, honestly she could be anywhere from a year to two years, the pet store I got her from couldn't really give me an age) who is doing really well and growing like a weed. She's 150ish grams and probably about 60cm. I'm going to be moving her up to her final enclosure soon and I'm just stuck on what size; I'm torn between a 90 x 45 x 45 and a 120 x 60 x 60. The advice I keep getting is to go for the bigger one because then I'll never need to upgrade, but I was always under the impression that 90cm was fine. Does anyone keep their Stimson's/Children's in either or and is able to give their 2 cents? I definitely want this to be her last enclosure and not have to upgrade sizes again because they are expensive šŸ˜…

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

To my knowledge they can live (happily?) in something even smaller that the sizes you've mentioned. However I have recently upgraded from a 60x45x45 to a 120x 60 x 60 and was torn on getting the 90 too. I am glad I went bigger because when my snake is stretched out in the enclosure he only has about 30cm to spare. He's 2. I was worried the enclosure would look far too big for him but honestly it doesn't and he has been so happy in there. Often just laying out in the open for hours.

My vote would be for the larger one but the 90 would also be more than fine for him.

Good luck!

Hey,

To my knowledge they can live (happily?) in something even smaller that the sizes you've mentioned. However I have recently upgraded from a 60x45x45 to a 120x 60 x 60 and was torn on getting the 90 too. I am glad I went bigger because when my snake is stretched out in the enclosure he only has about 30cm to spare. He's 2. I was worried the enclosure would look far too big for him but honestly it doesn't and he has been so happy in there. Often just laying out in the open for hours.

My vote would be for the larger one but the 90 would also be more than fine for him.

Good luck!
Ok thank you! Your snake sounds super lucky. Do you mind if I ask how you heat/light yours? I'm torn between a heat mat (which she has now and loves as she likes to burrow) or a ceramic emitter and a light. I know they don't technically need UVB but my vet recommended one so I might stick one in there.

you can only use a heat mat under a glass tank. My enclosures are all melamine and I use a spotlight and UV. I have over 40 reptiles in the house and everybody gets UV. I only use CHE for night heat in winter for my frillies

Ok thank you! Your snake sounds super lucky. Do you mind if I ask how you heat/light yours? I'm torn between a heat mat (which she has now and loves as she likes to burrow) or a ceramic emitter and a light. I know they don't technically need UVB but my vet recommended one so I might stick one in there.
I have a 20w heat mat as my enclosure is glass but I live in a super warm area of Qld and our winters aren't really winter. Most will say glass is bad and it probably is in colder areas without warming the ambient temperature. I just like the ease of a heat mat and my snake seems to be happy and healthy?

I am planning on getting a melamine enclosure but half of the bottom is glass so that heat mats can be used. I'm actually thinking of having a small corner with a 5w heat mat set to a fairly low temp and then using an overhead for ambient temp as well, obviously both will be on thermostats. My girl likes to burrow so I want her to still have a spot where the substrate is warm and I will definitely pop a UV in too. Thanks both of you :)

Back