• Check out the new Feedback and suggestions forum. This adds the ability to add ideas for the site and upvote/downvote them. It would be great to hear from you all in how we can boost site activity and who would like to assist with some exciting ideas from Rob and I.

Olive Python Musk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

I have a very young wild caught (legally) Kimberly olive python.
I've had it for nearly a year I guess. Nearly every time I pick it up it emits urates or a musky fluid. Has anyone else experienced such a thing with olives?

Fanden

Not so new Member
i have had that with a captive raised amazon tree boa aka little satan :p and a cb ball that did it 50% of the time

some snakes are just like that get nervous when you take them out

i dont live in aus

S

Snowman

i have had that with a captive raised amazon tree boa aka little satan :p and a cb ball that did it 50% of the time

some snakes are just like that get nervous when you take them out

i dont live in aus
Yeah, I need to put more time in handling it. Probably get it out once a fortnight or so.
It's interesting, I cant find much about scent glands, but it has a very unique smell to it. Like someone's dirty socks or sneakers that have been worn all summer without socks....

Fanden

Not so new Member
i had to wash my hands 2-3 times afterwards the stench wouldnt go away :p

little satan was taken out of cage almost every day didnt help much :p and he could give some nasty bites :p

RedFox

Very Well-Known Member
I know scrub pythons have a musk when they are nervous/stressed. Hard describe but a bit like dirty socks mixed with rotting vegetation. Olives could have a similar thing.... possibly.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
i had to wash my hands 2-3 times afterwards the stench wouldnt go away :p

little satan was taken out of cage almost every day didnt help much :p and he could give some nasty bites :p

Try elaphe carinata some time
you throw away what ever you were wearing

with most snakes its also a defence mechanism
I think the amount of stink depends on how developed the post anal glands are

Hamalicious

Completely normal with wild snakes, majority of wild snakes (all species i have encountered so far from pythons, elapids and colubrids) will musk you when disturbed. I would think regular handling would help the situation but it would depend on the snake. It may settle with time, or forever act like a wild snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.