Olive python nuzzle bites

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by Starbuck, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Starbuck

Starbuck Subscriber Subscriber

Hey brains trust, just wondering if anyone else has had this experience with their olive python, and whether it stops as they get older.
    He's about a year and a bit old, cage defensive but otherwise a good handler, quite placid and mostly calm, has his days though.
    Lately when he's being handled, he'll be calmly exploring, then start tongue flicking a spot on my arm, then nuzzle it, then slowly open his jaws and bite down.
    Most of the time I've got enough time to get my arm out the way. It's not an aggressive response, it's almost like he's confused about whether my arm is food or not, and decides he'll give it a go.
    This has been directly after a shower too so there's been no odd smells on me.

2. alexbee

alexbee Not so new Member

My bredli does the same - its my least favourite snake and he is 7 years old

3. LilithLeChat

LilithLeChat Active Member

My 4 year old female Bredli did it to me on the first day after I got her. She was 3.5 then and never handled, so I assumed that’s why. She was quite calm and inquisitive until the moment she struck and latched on my knockles and wrapped around my wrist, and wouldn’t let go.
    With her I thought it’s because the only time her enclosure was opened, it was to be fed but it looks like there might be other reasons for such behaviour?