Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to buy an olive python soon, it would be appreciated if someone could tell me the appropiate size for their enclosure. Also does feeding them less make the grow slower and smaller, and does anyone know of any breeders that currently have juveniles in the Darwin Area.

Why are you concerned about slowing down the growth rate?
If the size that an olive python will eventually reach is a problem for you, then maybe an Olive python is not the snake for you.
There are plenty of other options...although Olives are very nice snakes.

I dont really have any probs with their size, as it will be my only snake for quite a while so feeding costs are not important, I just would prefer it not to reach 4 metres

You cannot alter how big a snake will get by how much you feed it. You can only alter how quickly it will get there and this may be unhealthy for the snake. If the normal size of the snake is too big for you, don't get one. Water pythons are very similar to olives but only grow to 2m normally, 3m max.

brodi just ring up ben one snakes NT on 0409326307 he usually has them for sale for around $300 for a juvenile, or if you want i have got a northwestern carpet python 4 1/2 foot long for $400. i live in leanyer

Cool,
I was originally going to go for one of them, but they looked to snappy and i didn't want to get a hatchling. if yours isnt snappy will definetly consider buying, but maybe not for 2 months or so, but if im lucky a couple of weeks.

well i havn't really had him for long and he is usually ok when outside the cage, but with frequent handling should be fine, email me on [email protected] and i can give you my phone number.
ps what school you at?

kormilda, If all goes well with my parents I will email you at the end of the week.

At freds pass show at graeme gows reptile display, he had one that obviously hadn't been hand raised, and it was mental, it was acting like an angry king Cobra, and that kind of put me off a bit.

Every snake has its own personality Brodie.
You cant judge a species by individual snakes.
Always handle a snake b4 you buy it to see if you are comfortable with it.
I really think you should buy something other than an olive if this is your first snake.

I know that every snake has its own personality, I volunteer part time at the reptile section at TWP. There are two darwin Carpets there that are so docile that u could probably hit em on the head and they wouldn't do anything.
Why aren't Olives good starters, Graeme Gow recommended to me himself. As i said it will be my only snake for a couple of years so that i can afford a decent sized enclosure and afford all its food etc. I live where they come from so i have a good idea of their required temps.
Is it because they are so big that they are bad starters, or what?

Just look in the phone book get their fax number. Then write on the fax why u want to volunteer, what section u want to volunteer in, when you can, and how long you would like to volunteer for. The first couple of weeks I went there it was really hard work and hot, but then you get used to it and it is great fun, especially since I get to work with reptiles, I get to handle womas, Blackheadeds, carpets, childrens, and I have been around while theyve been handling death adders. If they accept you for volunteer work, you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!

Snappy

From what I've heard and read, Olives are usually a great snake, and USUALLY placid. However, there are exceptions.

Mind is terrific - friendly and inquisitive - unless he's shedding! Then he feels very insecure and snaps at anything that gets close to his enclosure. Slatey has a large semi-adult olive that was quite agressive at first, as it was rarely handled, and came to associate movement near his cage as feeding time! :shock: However, these days, when he's taken out of his enclosure and settles down, he's quite a nice snake.

I think with regular handling, most snakes are pretty good, but there are always exceptions.

I guess you need to ask yourself whether you are prepared to have a snake that may grow to 4 mtrs that may fit into the "exception" category! Personally, I'd recommend getting a juvenile that's a proven "easy handler" and pay a bit more or get yourself a snake that doesn't grow so big. Just MHO, for what it's worth.

I think Magpie's suggestion was a good one! Why risk the health of the snake by feeding it less, just to keep it smaller?

Thanks, Does anyone know how long they take to grow to 3-4 metres, and are they safe enough to handle alone when full size, as I have been told some large snakes will accidently make a person unconcious.

Arrrgh!

Well, personally, I don't think I would ever handle a 4 mtr snake alone, no matter how placid it normally is! They ARE a wild animal after all, and it somehow decided I was food, I don't think I'd like my chances! :shock: I'd want at least one other person within screaming range under those circumstances - assuming I had the breath to scream! :shock:

hey brodie,
what sort of work do you do out there, i am now thinking of volunteering. and what sort of work will i be doing in my work experiance?? what year you in to?
i am in year ten at dripstone.

well, in my first few weeks I was at the noc house, and I was mostly cleaning, but as they trusted me more I started to get to do less cleaning. At reptiles, the most cleaning u really ever have to do is wipe the glass down beofre visitors arrive, which in my opinion is a great job coz u get to observe the snakes at the same time, when they finally put in the taiapn it will be excellent as it always is a very active snake. You also have to clean enclosures so no different to what u do at home. Then u get to go check on all the reptiles at esbu, then u normally get to handle a carpet at the end of the reptile talk. That is basically my routine the on top of there might be projects to do, like the first week I worked at reptiles I helped landscape the moniter pit. It is also great being around marshall and Grant as they really know what they are talking about and answer any questions.

Im not sure what u will be doing on work experience.
I am in year 11 but am only 15.

Hi Brodie
I think that Olive would be excellent first snake for you. You have some experience from your volunteer work and if eny thing you don't know, people on this site are always happy to help. Olives are usually placid snakes and easy to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back