Pet Cane Toad chaging colour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaliceeee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently got a pet cane toad, and lately he seems to be going green and looking sick. He doesn't really act sick at all, it's just his skin im worried about. Could he have a disease or just ajusting to the environment. I've given him sunlight, not too much as theyre light sensitive and he's had enough food. I completely cleaned out the enclosure, put in new soil, water etc. I'm hoping that it will go away but I though it could be more serious. Anyone got any tips or expieriences with pet can toads?
Thanks

From the hundreds or so toads that I've seen around here, they seem to come in a huge variety of colours- because captivity is bringing out his colours more? Are you spraying him with water daily? Also, have a look at some overseas forums where some members are toad keepers. They may be able to help you more with the finer details of their husbandry.

Remember, cane toads are a huge pest. Please don't breed them :)

Being in NSW i have never encountered a toad ;P I would love to see someones pet..Because i would assume there would of been something that made you say... WELL that settles it i want a Cane Toad

Last edited:
Hmmmm......... if you manage to kill a cane toad, i would never get another pet lol

On a nice note tho, why dont you instead get one of our lovely native frogs to keep? Not a pest species?

Cane toads are illegal to keep in all states.
To have one in private captivity shows that you have taken from the wild.

haha i have absolutely no inention of breeding him, but they are awesome pets. I've handled him numerous times and he's actually becoming more tame, as hard as that is to believe.

Gary, are you able to show me where it states that toads are illegal to keep? I understand that all native protected species are illegal to take out of the wild, but since toads do not fall under this category?

jaliceeee said:
I've handled him numerous times and he's actually becoming more tame, as hard as that is to believe.

No, I understand that. The toads that I've picked up are extremely settled once they're in your hands (similar to large tree frogs in this regard).

Haha Gary is back from the dead
Cane toads need to be eradicated, not made comfortable

I would love a toad, I kill them, but have to admit they are pretty cool looking, I actually felt bad after killing my first one:oops:.... then I toughened up a killed a few more and got over it:lol:

I'm really not sure where my friend got hers from, but im pretty sure it's legal. Our other friend is heavily into frogs and reptiles, and she hasn't said anything about it being illegal.

I usually kill cane toads, theyre an absolute pest, but watching one this closely makes them seem not that bad, when theyre not out killing wildlife etc. I think they're pretty, but think sharks are pretty too, so i think im just strange. Even if my friend took it from the wild, better in a place theyre not doing any harm than being hit over the head with a wooden pole

I think it's actually legal to keep things such a cane toads or asian house geckos for like a week or so if you intend on releasing it back into the wild soon

Check the laws, they are illegal to keep in all states
If you have one or more as a pet, it has been illegally removed from the wild.
You may not have removed it, but it has been.
No-one except scientists can legally own cane toads, this includes your friend.
What licence is it held under?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back