Pet Crocs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taipan Man

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I seen a baby freshy for sale on a online reptile site :shock:, and got to wondering.
Are we allowed to keep a croc as a pet under the standard reptile license?
Is there a special license to keep one?

If so is it just freshies, or are we allowed the salties as well?
What rules are there on the housing of these animals?
Are these classified the same as snakes, and we are allowed to keep them in rental properties?

The list just goes on and on.

Anyway if we are allowed to keep a pet croc, I'd love to have one from a hatchy up to around one or two years :p. Anyone out there know anything about this topic?

Depends on where you are as to what licence you need. In the NT you can have both of them on the normal rec keeping licences but can only keep them to 1m i think. Not sure about other states though.

In Vic we can have either on the advanced lic up to 2.5 meters, then we need another permit
Don't think you can have them in NSW

How about QLD? I don't want one, I'm just curious.

a mate of mine has one in vic. he got it last november from nt. they send em down for 2 years then you send it back and get a new hatchie. after his initial outlay of $230 he just has to pay for frieght for his new one. it is so cool too. so small and still makes the croak sound.

In Vic we can have either on the advanced lic up to 2.5 meters, then we need another permit
Don't think you can have them in NSW
Stupid legal system!
How come you can keep them in Vic, but not NSW.

I can just imagine the sign's on the gate...
"Don't worry about the dog, its the 3 meter croc in the pond you should worry about!!!"

I want one! I can't think of a better way to stop the hoodlums from jumping my back fence!

Yeah mine still croaks But mine is savage....not really but he does try and eat me
sometimes

a mate of mine has one in vic. he got it last november from nt. they send em down for 2 years then you send it back and get a new hatchie. after his initial outlay of $230 he just has to pay for frieght for his new one. it is so cool too. so small and still makes the croak sound.

Your mate wouldn't send them back if he knew what happened to them :lol:

That is the exact situation that came to mind.

yeah, that makes me think of a funny story one time i had to break into my own house, which I had to do by climbing over the croc tank while the lid was being worked on. I was very concerned for my kids.....or any chance of having kids anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back