Pink tounge skink care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Looking at getting a pink tongue skink, and had a couple of questions that many caresheets seem to answer differently. More of a snake person so my knowledge on skinks is pretty limited, so if anyone owns any or had any experience with them input is greatly appreciated :)

1) tank size, is a 2ft long enclosure big enough? I know they need some height to climb, also is melamine better than glass/screen lid for this species?
2) diet, I've read it's mostly slugs and snails as a staple, but it is said that you can feed them a diet similar to blue tongue (ie mealworms, dog food, salad ect), instead of purely snails, is this true?
3)heating and UVB, I was planning on using a heat cord underneath a tile as a basking spot as well as a 10.00 UVB bulb in either a reflector or inside the enclosure (if melamine), is this alright or is there something better to use? Also is UVB required, a couple of people have said no, and others yes.
4)Intelligence/temperament, what are they generally like? Is it similar to a blue tongue?

Thank you for any information provided :)

My pink tongue skink goes absolutely nuts for snails, they are most definitely his favourite. I also give him dog food, eggs and salad although he shuns these more often than not and prefers snails over everything else.

On the advise of those in this forum, his heat spot sits at between 27 and 32 depending on the ambient temperature of the room and right now he just has a heat lamp and no uv.

His enclosure is about 2 1/5 ft by 1 1/5 ft and he has several climbing branches.

I use a mulch type substrate which he loves to bury himself in and he also has two hides, one on the cool end and one on the warm end. Also, his terrarium is glass which I am planning to insulate three sides of with black foam to retain a little more heat.

I also spray the enclosure every few days as they like a little humidity.

I mainly used care sheets for blueys though as there are very little available online for pink tongues.

And expect a feisty little bugger too. Mine displays his mouth and tongue at bites at every given opportunity.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back