Pond Journal: Turtle Pond Build Thread.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely stunning pond Waruikazi. How much did you get your yelow faces for?

Good on you Stipe!

I have a couple of questions......

What is the program you used to plan/design your pond?.......it looks like a bit of fun

How will you mow the grass within the enclosure?

Will you be using anything else on the inside of the pavers to stop them from escaping?

Also, with such a great looking pond, you may want to use a UV steriliser on it to keep the water clear.....just a thought. Solar heating has been successfully achieved using black, poly pipe coiled up on a roof. It is cheap and works really well to heat water....actually where do you live......you may not need to heat Eatern Snake-necks at all?

Kind regards and keep us posted,

Gab

What is the program you used to plan/design your pond?.......it looks like a bit of fun

Its called google sketchup and is free from google. Jsut type it into the google search bar. Oh yeh its very fun, you can do whateveryou want.

How will you mow the grass within the enclosure?

Either using wipper snippers or shears.... i dont know, i do not want it really short though... Any tips.

Will you be using anything else on the inside of the pavers to stop them from escaping?

It will ahve fencing all around the out side of the enclosure so they wont be able to escape at all.

Also, with such a great looking pond, you may want to use a UV steriliser on it to keep the water clear.....just a thought. Solar heating has been successfully achieved using black, poly pipe coiled up on a roof. It is cheap and works really well to heat water....actually where do you live......you may not need to heat Eatern Snake-necks at all?

UV i do have and will be using, tht soudns like a cheap idea for water heating. I might give that ago. I lvie in sydney adn in the winter my pond will get aeound 5 degrees, not somthing i want. Also i do nto wish to ybernate my turtles, they are only 1.5years old.

Pond lienr will be here today so mroe pictures will follow.

Stipe - Good on you mate, that is going to be great...

Gordo / Waruikazi,

Don't mean to hijack and it looks fantastic Stipe, but do you have instructions on how you did your pond?

Matt

that is freaking awesome Stipe!!
it looks great so far!

about the them climbing out
i had a turtle in my pond that i put there when i found it near my house after it was hit by a car.
after examining it i found that the shell was only cracked on the rim so i figured i'd give him some R&R then let him go in the lake the next day.
the pond is fenced all around about 80-90cm high and when i came back the next day he was gone!
i searched the area around the pond and found no sign of diging so he must have climbed out.
i was amazed!
never thought they were such good climbers.
anyways gives you something to think about whist building your turtle pond
good luck with construction and i cant wait to see the finished product!

Cheers
Camo

sorry i just measured the fence haha i forgot the ground is rasied inside so make that a 60cm high fence

Thanks for the replys

Yeh i am taking in account that they are good climbers. So i am talkign to some profesional turtle breeders to get their opinions.

GUESS WHAT???

I just got the pond liner and i have finished filling up the pond. Took all night, i am currently soaking wet but i had to post so you guys know pics are coming after my shower.

They will be up in 40-60min.

wait... that sounds wrong:shock:, pics of the pond will be posted after i finish my warm shower. There :lol::rolleyes:

Hey Gecko_procs, was the fence dug into the ground, the turtle could of lifted the fence and got under then drooped the fence again. Also turtles are notorious for going sideways and slipping through the bars, no joke.

nope the fence is attatched at the base to a small retaining wall, cant be lifted, the only gaps are small squares about 5cm cubed on the actual fence coz its made of lattis [spelling?] and unless he can fold his shell i doubt a full grown long neck would fit through that haha :D
im still trying to figure out how he got out, would have been neat to see him climb out tho

Ok guys I've had my shower, filled my belly and now am bothered enough to give you guys pictures.

The hardest part was getting all the wrinkles our of the liner. Well i guess it is impossible as i have so many cures and slopes. All in all it was a good nights work.

Remember when you look at these pictures that i still have not put any substrate. Also the stone tiles around the pond are not in their final position. They are just there to hold the liner in place so my dog doesn't mess anything up.

The best thing of the night is that after the water was it it was a perfectly clean pond. Also the water was warmer than outside so i spend like an hour in the pond with a nice cold beer pretending i was a turtle :lol:, if only i had a basking light :rolleyes:.

Anyway i got the liner from Dural irrigation supplies on new line road in dural. I highly recommend the as they are very knowledgeable and have great service, Not to mention their price of the liner (Proliner 1mm EPDM) was half of that from the internet and the fact that they stock anything needed for a pond. The liner was very, very flexible and was easily stretched into place.

Oh and i also forgot that tomorrows job will involve me cementing down the paver's and laying down my substrate and rocks/decoration. I will have to set up my UV as well to stop algae blooms. Will do that tomorrow.

Here are the pictures. Remember it is not complete yet and is very messy.

Underlay
Underlay.jpg

Liner
lINERIN.jpg

Installation
Waterfirststep.jpg

waterfulluncut.jpg

waterfullwideview.jpg

waterfullcut.jpg

watefulltiledundun.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.