Power usage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always find thirstier activities to justify your current use of power.The fact is that the majority of reptile setups could use power more efficiently without a detrimental effect to the occupants.
I used to keep about 500 odd pythons in 100 odd 1-2 meter cages, and 400 draws.
I used 1500 watts for the cages 12 hours a day on timers and 1500 watts for the draws up to 12 hour a day through thermostats. the surplus from the cages supported the ambient temperature to be in the low 20s. 1500 watts for 24 hours is 36 kilowatt hours or about $10 a day. I have seem setups based upon globes which could use say 100 x 100watts per hour, for cages alone = 10,000 watts per hour or say $3 per hour.
Generally the closer you can get the heat source to the animal the more efficient it will be, and if you add a heat bank, like tiles, better still! Globes heat air which blows away and so are the least efficient.

You're exactly right about globes/bulbs heating air. Unfortunately turtles have evolved to receive their heat from above and we're unable to utilise heat mats for them to bask on like snakes can, their carapace acts like a huge solar panel to soak up the heat which is then transferred to the rest of the body where it's needed. They can also direct heat away from parts of the body that have become too hot and store heat for extended periods, like a thermos. It's normal for a turtle's body temperature to be several degrees warmer than the cool water it's swimming in which many people wouldn't think possible for an ectothermic reptile. I like how easy snakes are to cater for. :)

You're exactly right about globes/bulbs heating air. Unfortunately turtles have evolved to receive their heat from above and we're unable to utilise heat mats for them to bask on like snakes can, their carapace acts like a huge solar panel to soak up the heat which is then transferred to the rest of the body where it's needed. They can also direct heat away from parts of the body that have become too hot and store heat for extended periods, like a thermos. It's normal for a turtle's body temperature to be several degrees warmer than the cool water it's swimming in which many people wouldn't think possible for an ectothermic reptile. I like how easy snakes are to cater for. :)
I wonder if by channeling the basking heat down say a 200mm pipe to say 100mm off the ground , less heat would be lost to the surrounding air and so available to the turtle on the ground. It might not look pretty but would save energy. If that works then the pipe could be suitably camouflaged.

It probably wouldn't work, the physical light along with heat, (imitating the sun) is what entices them to haul out. If the temp is too cool or too hot, they simply won't bask. You want it between 30-34 degrees C.
P1000334.JPG
DSCF1950.JPG

What happens to the heat in the first 400mm down from the globe? I looks like it is heating the room not ONLY the basking area. Not wishing to be critical but it certainly does look like a high energy setup! That would push me towards outside pits!

Hi Wokka, hence why the basking lamps are only on for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening. Turtles only bask early in the morning to ramp up their metabolism and again in the evening to store heat before nightfall. Thank God they don't bask all day. :) 125 watt MVB lamps have to be a good 400 - 450mm away to prevent photokerato conjunctivitis... Turtles have a tendency to go into a trance-like state while basking and stare directly into the lights. Also, any closer than 400mm in the warmer months and the basking temp would exceed 50 degrees easily. A newer version of the Exo-Terra Solar Glo MVB has now been made in 80 watt. Next time I replace, I'll downsize from 125 to 80. I remember back when I was using 160 watts... I would cringe when the timer switched it on... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back