Really interesting snake....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 31898

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was sent 2 pictures from a friend who found this snake dead on the side of the road, although it does not appear to have been run over. I initially saw the belly photo and thought it may be either a small eye or an unusual red belly, but the red does not appear up the flanks and didn't think that either have black under the belly.

It got more interesting when I saw the head shot as it appears to have an open "crown".

It is about 1m in length apparently so I assume to be too big to be some kind of "crowned snake".

Located in Everton Hills, north/ NW of Brisbane.

Any one can positively identify? I am waiting to find out what she has done with it as I think it may be worth taking to the museum. If I can get it from her I will take more photos.

Cheers.
unidentified-belly.jpgunidentified-top.jpg

If anyone knows how to make images appear larger on here, please let me know. I just used the insert image button, but these appear better when I open them on my computer.

Last edited:
I cantt really see the pic too well on my phone but it looks like a golden crown me

Have you done a scale count? it does look to me like a crowned but if you do a scale count you'll know for sure midbody scales are in 15 rows for a crowned snake either type

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

No scale count - I don't have the snake. I also think its a golden crown from looking at my "wildlife of greater Brisbane" (love that book). So either it is a really big specimen, or my friend was greatly exaggerating the size! Haha. I should have considered that first, like people afraid of snakes NEVER exaggerate size lol!

I assume the poor thing met its end biting on a toad. :(

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

No scale count - I don't have the snake. I also think its a golden crown from looking at my "wildlife of greater Brisbane" (love that book). So either it is a really big specimen, or my friend was greatly exaggerating the size! Haha. I should have considered that first, like people afraid of snakes NEVER exaggerate size lol!

I assume the poor thing met its end biting on a toad. :(

Love that book also - but can I ask why do you assume it was a toad that did it? Is there evidence of this?

Love that book also - but can I ask why do you assume it was a toad that did it? Is there evidence of this?

An assumption only because it is not squashed, and they are frog eaters so thought it may have bitten a toad by mistake. May have just lived out it's life to the fullest. We will never know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back