Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
The weather today was mild with a temperture of about 18C. My wife and I decided to go on a picnic. After a last minute change of plans, we decided to go on our usual walk at Royal National Park. We start at Garie Beach and then follow the Great Coast Walk to the Wattamolla area before returning again to Gaire.

I was surprised by the number of reptiles that were active today. We saw a White's Skinks (Liopholis whitii) that were sunning near their burrows along rocky sections of the trail. Cunningham's Skinks (Egernia cunninghami) were active right along the cliffs edge. I saw a single Garden Skink (Lampropholis delicata) as well as a couple of the more unusual species that included Common Scaly-Foot (Pygopus lepidopodus) and a Yellow-faced Whipsnake (Demansia psammophis).

First, I will include a few habitat shots. This view is always beautiful.
habitat6.jpg

Here is the cove where we have our picnic. It is not far from Wattamolla.
habitat1.jpg

habitat3.jpg

habitat4.jpg

I always check on a colony of Cunningham Skinks that live on a clifftop. The colony was active today with a number of lizards out basking.
Egernia_cunningham2.jpg

White's Skinks were seen in the mid afternoon. They usually were sunning a short distance from their burrows under rocks.
Egernia_whitii2.jpg

Egernia_whitii1.jpg

Common Scaly-Foots are probably numerous but I don't see them often. This one was sunning itself right on the trail.
Pygopus_lepid2.jpg

Pygopus_lepid3.jpg

Pygopus_lepid1.jpg

Origma or Rock Warbler is an endemic bird that is restricted to the sandstones near Sydney.
RockWarbler.jpg

Darwinia fascicularis -- this plant was odd since most of the lowers were red rather than being a mixture of red, pink and white.
Darwinia.jpg

Heath-leafed Banksia (Banksia ericifolia)
Banksia_ericifolia.jpg

I think that the following is an Eriostemon.
Eriostemon.jpg

Flowering Drumsticks.
Isopogon.jpg

A colourful, golden pea was in flower along the trails:
pea.jpg

Regards,
David

Here is a pic of the Yellow-faced Whipsnake. I saw it briefly on the trail but then had another view of it within thick cover. It remained in view for a couple of minutes before crawling under a rock.
Demansia1.jpg

Fantastic shots. It was certainly the day for a bush walk. The scalyfoot was a great find. Thanks for sharing

Beautiful fauna and flora photos - there is soooo much to see when walking in the bush :D

Wow thats some great finds for this time of year imo. I suppose you just have to know what your looking for.

Very nice pics, looks like a wonderful spot. Must've felt good getting amongst it and being a part of it that day. I love this kind of thing.

Those coastal areas are great for winter herping, they get alot of sun and often the animals are cool enough to let you get some good pics...... I do think you have worn a groove into that spot though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back