Saw Shelled Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMartin

Reaction score
Hi . still learning how to use site so sorry if i've double posted some stuff.:oops:
I was hoping to get some advice about setting up my pond for my new juvenile saw shelled turtle Gus.
The pond is 300lts fibre glass, is external but in a shady position, water is about 35cm deep, it has an eternal filter , a lily in a pot and rocks layering the floor. At present there are 2 fairly large fan tailed gold fish calling it home as well. I was hoping to set up a log for Gus to climb up on and bask. Is this adequate? would he need more sun/heat? He is only 30mm x 37mm big yet - would living with the fish be a problem for either? The sides of the pond are sloped and a bit rough - is it possible that he may climb out? I would really appreciate any info to help as i was probably in error thinking i could just introduce him to the pond the way i have discribed . The more i read the more i am concerned. thanks in advance for any and all help, carrie.

Hi! If at all possible, you're best introducing him to the pond when he's a bit older and in summer. If you introduce him now, he'll go into hibernation for the winter. I also had a friend who lost a 10cm long neck turtle to a crow that took him while she was watching. I know it's a long shot but saw shells grow quickly and won't be able to be carried away when they're older. Also, you'll need to put some form of fencing around the pond if you don't want him to wander because he will climb out & bask. My saw shell also loved fish so you will probably lose your fish - I used to feed mine fish, they're a good source of calcium. Hope this helps & you enjoy your new little buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back