shingleback help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matty-jungle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if you can keep a shingleback by itself or is it better to have a pair? and what is a good size enclosure for one?
thanks

I have a male shingleback lizard. He lives inside the house on his own. He is very healthy and seems to be growing well. I often wonder if i too should get him a friend. He lives in a 100 cm x 50 cm cage. Its seems to be enough room for him, but i plan to up-grade as he is getting to be a large boy. I think 1500 cm would be quite roomy for him :) I would also be happy to get him a friend with a cage 1500 cm x 50/60 cm too.
I wish more people owned shinglebacks. Seems not many on APS do. Its a shame, they are such lovely little critters :)

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 83
There are those of us who have them, but we seem to be a shy bunch when it comes to talking about them! lol

ETA - my Dozer is in a 4ft tank and has visits with Blues and Beardies, just waiting to find a suitable lil Shingle girl as his tank mate :) But he gets on fine with the Blues and Beardies

There are those of us who have them, but we seem to be a shy bunch when it comes to talking about them! lol

ETA - my Dozer is in a 4ft tank and has visits with Blues and Beardies, just waiting to find a suitable lil Shingle girl as his tank mate :) But he gets on fine with the Blues and Beardies

is 'Dozer' his name? Thats brilliant! :D
My boys name is JubJub ;)

Lol yeah - Dozer is his name...he just pushes thru stuff, no matter what it is! so it kinda fitted :)

I have my Centralian Bluey in a 5ft and he's happy in that, there's a lot of space, your Shingleback would be good as well I reckon.
Pretty sure that's what you mean by 1500cm

Last edited:
I want one. Ideally I want a m/f pair, but I'd be happy with one. As far as I know, they're pretty solitary except for breeding season, so I don't think they would want or need a friend. Apparently they can co-exist quite well with blueys and some other species (not 100% sure on which ones though) as long as there's enough room.
If anyone's breeding or selling any in Melbourne, I'd love to hear about it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back