small elapids!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke1

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey,
just wondering afew things about white lipped snakes, and marsh snakes.
  • how much
  • are they easy to keep
  • can weaned onto mice
  • can i keep them in a pit???
  • any pics :D
Luke

white lips are extremely rare in captivity ive been looking for about a year now and no luck. there used to be alot around but then no one bred them so there are not many left in captivity. white lips only eat skinks and i don't know of one eating mice.
cheers
Blake

Most small elapids are very much skink eaters, some can be weaned onto mice, most are almost impossible though, being such hard work, there are not alot of people breeding them and are generally hard to get.

I'd imagine marsh snakes would be fairly straight forward to keep. I've heard they get onto pick mice quite easily as well. I'd be inclined to keep them inside so you can observe them and monitor weight gain/etc. The main problem is getting hold of them. Practically noone has them on license.

-H

Even Little Whip Snakes, which are absolutely everywhere down here seem to be impossible to obtain.

It's amazing how we have reasonably vast species lists from which we can keep various animals and complain when something isn't on them, yet we are happy to let others disappear from collections for some reason or another......and hence off the list. Kinda weird don't you think? Catch 22

Has happened quite often in the pet bird trade. Theres a few finches that were considered a bit ugly and noone continued breeding them... then suddenly it was discovered that only a few birds existed in captivity and the price rose dramactically.
I think Yellow rumped finches and Aberdeen finches are fine examples of this.

-H

hey,
just wondering afew things about white lipped snakes, and marsh snakes.
  • how much
  • are they easy to keep
  • can weaned onto mice
  • can i keep them in a pit???
  • any pics :D
Luke

Marsh snakes are easy to keep and when I lived in Sydney we had them in an outside pit. Can be a bit tricky to get eating mice but will eventually take them with scenting, we used to use water skink tails to help get them onto mice. I don't know how much they cost as all mine were WC or birthed from gravid WC (25 years ago - before anyone starts bleating)

The main problem is getting hold of them. Practically noone has them on license.

-H

There's actually a fair few people who have them on licence. Swampies usually go for around $400ea. It's funny how many people say they want them, but wont pay $400 for one. Yet the same people will pay $400 for an ordinary python. Strange.

I've seen marsh snakes sell for $600ea, adults that is. Well worth it, if thats what your into. Considering a stimmie can go for anything up to $400. I know what i'd rather have.

Could some one place us in the direction of information on keeping marshies in captivity? Also if there are any breeders around? Thanks!

Could some one place us in the direction of information on keeping marshies in captivity? Also if there are any breeders around? Thanks!

What is it specifically that you want to know - keeping them is not much different RBB although they don't need as much space.

Marsh snakes are very easy too keep, heaps of ppls have kept themas kids no doubt. Shame noone seems to be breeding them :(

Awesome snakes, could easily be kept in an outdoor pit with a population of skinks if it fits within legal stuff.

What is it specifically that you want to know - keeping them is not much different RBB although they don't need as much space.

I want to know it all! I have no experience with Marshies nor with RBBS. I was looking for a good article on them or a fact sheet or care sheet or something! Does anyone keep them on a license? I have looked them up in a few of my books and they all say similar things. They like swamps and creeks and eat frogs and skinks mostly. Is there any variations in colour? How well do they adapt to captivity?

hey
thanks for the replys every body!
ok stencorp69 just basic husbandry- feeding, housing (indoors and outdoors), temps, what reptiles they could live with happily outdoors and anything else!
cris - where do ya get them though??? i haven't found anybody with them!

cheers,

Luke

wait...yep i agree with Ewan...ALL OF IT!!! sounds like you should have started the thread LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back