Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexahnder

Reaction score
Is there any species of small snake that could be housd in an enclosure with adult childreni???

I asked Paul a similar question about housing my new olive (steady on Greeebs - there's a point to this, I'm not gushing :lol: ) and he said it's not a good idea.

After all, reptiles are one of their natural prey items, and it's not unknown for one snake to attempt to eat a smaller snake.

That said, my two spotted pythons have been housed together since I first had them without a drama.

I'm guessing that any member of the childrens family could probably be housed together if they were equal in size. You could try this and watch them carefully, but it's up to you whether you want to take the risk, What do others think?

I got my Bredls as hatchies and have kept them together so far with no problems whatsoever. I worried a lot in the beginning but all is well to date.

I keep my olives together for now. Not even a hint of problem. Actually they seem to enjoy each others company. They will curl up together in their favorite basking site, and spend whole day like that. I would think just about any other snake that will stay about same size would be fine with children's python. Of course that don't leave to many options, but maybe a spotted or another childrens.

Sorry, what I mean't was that i have a cage with a pair of adult childreni and I was wondering if any other snakes (except elapids) could be housed with them.

togetherness

l keep both my jungles together but have to seperate to feed as they always go the same mouse that said l had a golden tree snake and a 4 ft costal house together and they use to curl up in the same pot

kind of like a big fish tank filled with lots of different fish?

i dont really know but it sounds like a good idea

Yes, that what I mean't . I think it would be ok if there were lots of hiding places

also not to put in snake like black headedpythons or other reptile munchers

i might try it when i get my new hatchlings

how big is your slatey grey if its about the same size as the others and the encloser is big i cant see a problem

im putting childreni and spotteds together

p.s also lots of basking room

I don't have a slatey grey (yet) bu i was thinking if one could be housed with a pair of adult childreni.

The enclosure is 70x70cm and 45cm high. There is a heat mat covering about 1/3 of the tank floor and another heat mat on the side of the tank.

If i do get one and it can be housed in the same tank i would be putting in at least 2 new hide boxes, to make a total of three. I was also thinking about putting in a box of leaves that they can bury themselves in. They two species are found in the same area

Okay I will answer seriously.
Putting different species together is generally not a good idea.
As I said try childrens pythons..there are 3 sub species after all.
I dont have any experience with slatey's but from the discription I just read I don't think it would make a good playmate for a couple of childrens.
If you wanna get another snake (and who doesnt) simply make another enclosure.

When I got my pair of hatchling Stimsons I was told not to keep them together as they might try eating each other. As there pray in the wild is smaller reptiles.

Also from what I have read on the net it?s not a good idea to keep any smaller reptiles with larger ones as the smaller will look like dinner to the larger.

hi james, how are your stimsons going??

i was thinking of a slatey grey as an adult one would be about the same size as one of my childreni

houseing together.

hi everyone..
greebo is right on the money...a snake cohabiting in the wild can not be compared to controled keeping conditions..

this is a risk that is not worth taking..we have heard so many storys.
eg.stimmys eating maccys
stimmys eating childreni
childreni eating each other
babys water eating baby maccy
blackhead adult eating adult carpet.
adult blackhead eating the eggs of a female as she layed them.
all of these storys were from shared cages with animals being housed because they were the same size.
the bottom line really is if you cant give them there own home you really cant afford to keep another animal.
other things to think of is the stress factor of sharing confind conditions. this can interfer with feeding.and general well being..
cheers paul.

Hi,
we keep all our babies in seperate cages, tho for a long while we kept a trio of stimi's, an 4 spotty's in the same cage, there was never a problem. :lol: We did feed outside the enclosures,an all had seperate feeding cages.

But i can tell you that i have seen two adult males of difern't species kept in the same enclosure at one breeders house, sorry i can't remember the species, but i'm sure one was a diamond.
kv2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back