1. Hi there Guest, thanks for visiting the site. Due to changes in circumstances, finances and having run this page for several years, Aussie Pythons and Snakes will be shut down on August 1st. If you or anyone you know would be interested in owning and running one of Australias Longest running Pythons and Snakes forums then please get in touch with Stuart via PM. Thank you for your support over years and please know that this decision has not been made lightly. Regards, Stuart

Smitti started another one...

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by Smittiferous, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burgo89

Burgo89 Active Member

That's coming along nicely mate was just the other day I was thinking how one would go about this exact same setup and you have nailed it. Top stuff, can't wait to see the end result

2. Herpo

Herpo Well-Known Member

Me neither! But be careful, all these empty enclosures are the primary source of EES (Empty Enclosure Syndrome). You wallet won't recover! :lol:

3. Smittiferous

Smittiferous Subscriber Subscriber

Oh don't worry [MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION] all these currently empty enclosures have occupants lined up already...

I am picking up two enclosures next weekend that I will be reconditioning, nothing lined up to go in those though....

... Or is there?

4. ronhalling

ronhalling Subscriber Subscriber

WOW, when you said watch this space i did not envisage anything as spectacular as that, i will be waiting with baited (or smelly) breath for the next lot of progress pics. 10++++ for this 1. :) ...................Ron

5. Smittiferous

Test fit of platforms. Not sure I like the middle one, it's there to hide the glass brace but it looks too.... Enclosed. Thoughts? End platforms will be staying.
    [​IMG]

6. Smittiferous

Middle brace replaced with something smaller, to that I'm going to fix a rocky outcrop or some such to hide it. Didn't want it there but I feel it is necessary to stop the front bowing in or out.

Platforms glued and tac-nailed down, roof panel glued and tac-nailed, front facade fixed in place. All that remains is the rear panel fixed in place and all the vent/water hose holes bored out, and that's the timber work done!
    [​IMG]

mlwdrt and Aztec like this.
  7. Smittiferous

Anyone know how much weight aquarium glass can sustain? The four legs are designed to take the weight of the shroud, but I foresee alignment issues where they meet the surround they're sitting on. I'd like to simply lop them off if I can, and the shroud isn't very heavy.

8. Aztec

Aztec Not so new Member

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    That sounds so cool! I would like to do similar in the enclosure I posted on my thread to you.
    How would I make the sections that create ledges such as in this pic?

Then create the rocky aspect without adding too much weight. Polystyrene?

IMG_9336.PNG

9. Smittiferous

@Aztec Wow I forgot about this thread. I'll take some pics tomorrow to show how the ledges are fixed.

For light fake rocks I'd use polystyrene with a thin layer of tile grout over it, hit with a paint brush or similar as it was drying to create some nice texture.

Still haven't actually finished this thing. So close to completion but so much to do.

10. Aztec

Aztec Not so new Member

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    How exciting! Thankyou ;-) I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.