Spider question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aoife

Reaction score
ok, what do bird-eating spiders eat? I guess birds but where do you get them from, like would you buy a live one from a pet shop? what else do they eat?

so many people are going to reply "birds" to this. :rolleyes:

bird-eating spider rarely eats birds. Occasionally, hatchling birds will be taken from nests on the ground, however, the bulk of the diet comprises insects, lizards, frogs, and other spiders.......and there are sellers on here if you want to get some ...

mine eats black crickets, brown crickets, woodies and the occasional pinky mouse. i fed a pinky mouse last night as it was too small for my snakes, it was taken down into the burrow to be consumed.

while yes you can feed them birds they are quite an impractical food item. I feed my spiders mainly on roaches and occasionally meal worms aswell. Some of my larger specimens can get through a rat a little bigger than an adult mouse no problems

For easy maintenance and so i dont have to feed them every week, I just pop a sulphur crested cockatoo in with mine once a year. :)

I have have kept bird eating spiders for over 20 years and not once have i fed them a bird , Crickets, Locusts and the odd pinkie will do them just fine

Just a question???
Can bird eating spiders legally be taken from the wild and sold?
Are they not protected from this?

Just a question???
Can bird eating spiders legally be taken from the wild and sold?
Are they not protected from this?

they can be taken without a permit in qld if your just keeping them as pets, licence is needed to do it commercially. From what i have heard they are going to completly ban the wild collecting of t's in qld shortly

Yeah i was thinking that myself.
It's just someone on here is catching them wild and selling them without a licence.

You can also feed it silk worms, although I havnt personally. You can find crickets and everything else listed here from pet shops. It's also illegal to feed captive spiders live vertibrates, doesnt means its not done, just something to keep in mind.
I dunno if its legal to catch them in other places but their population has decreased significantly.
Loads of helpful information can be found on the Australian Invertabrate Forum, also the Green Scorpion has information, as well as being a reliable breeder and seller.

silk worms are great, forgot about them, perfect for putting condition on skinny t's

they eat crickets or anything thats roughly the size of their abdomen. i have a phloguis rubiseta (sling) for sale i your interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back