Storr's monitor info

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moclobe

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a good site on the care of storr's monitors please.
Need general care info such as cage setup, diet etc.

Regards David

Storrs Houseing info

Hi David
I have a few pairs of storrs goannas.
They breed easily, if housed correctly.
Ill tell you what works for me.
I use a 1200mm length, 600mm Hight & 600mm Depth.
My tanks are made of MDF & sealed & painted.
I feed every third day, usaly crickets but sometimes I feed them woodies, turkey mince, sliced beef heart or even tinned cat or dog food.
Temps are 45 degrease under the basking light.
The cool side shouldnt go over 32 degrease for long periods.
Cool side temp try to aim for 20 degrease though.
I also use UV but this is not a critical factor when houseing monitors.
Storrs are from the top of Aust, so place the water bowl towards the hot end to create humidty.
You can use many substrates for ground cover, I use play sand 3cm depth.
Put a small plastic tub with the lid on & with a hole cut in the top for entry.
Sandy type loam is used mixed with some peat soil for egg laying or burrowing.
The temps for the tub should be around 29 to 32 degrease & slightly moist so it will not cave in when burrowed in.
My tubs size are 400mm lenght, 250mm hight & 250mm width.
Day light periods 12 hours & heat 24/7.
Im going to try & post some pics be I seem somehow to have trouble posting pics on this site.
Here goes!
Cheers,
Jason Lapins

Heres some more pics of my other monitors

I keep several other monitors & breed some of them.
The four monitors "Reptile City" is aiming to breed this year, are the mangrove monitor, striped-tailed pygmy monitors, Baritji & Mertins water monitor.
We have up to date bred, Goulds, Ackies, Storrs & Tristis oreintailis.
Heres some pics of "Reptile Citys" monitors & set-ups.
I also keep Pythons, Skinks & Dragons.(Boy am I hooked on reptiles!)
enjoy!
Cheers,
Jason Lapins

RE: More Pics

Mate, I wouldn't fill that water tank, I have a feeling it might leak :) Very nice pics and setups there mate :)

RE: More Pics

Good looking storrs set-up there Jason.......mangrove monitors, very cool; put me on the list :D
David, storrs are best kept in small family groups; i prefer 1 male 2-3 females......becareful to try get the sexs right, as males can be quite agressive towards one another, sometimes to the point of killing each other, if not seperated.....You'll notice in one of Jasons pics, a ply, timber stacking, comprising of a few levels.....I use to put this on top of my nesting box directly under the heat scource....the storrs, then pick what level, they wish to sit; hotter towards the top.. futher down, the cooler it is......On top of the stack id have a tile which is exstreamly hot; hot enough to crack thermometers.....First thing in the morning, i'd give it a good misting (spray)...the water evaporating, and increasing the humidity substantially, instantly fogging up the enclosure glass....
Pending where you live, and the average temperature, they can be housed rather successfully outside; as i now do, in small pit style enclosures, containing rocks, logs, plants etc....they breed quite well in this set-up of their own accord.....with little work other then normal cage maintance, feeding and watering.......one of the best small monitors in my opinion....having heaps of character, becoming quite tame.....

Storr s monitor info

Thanks for imformation repti city and indicus,much appreciated! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back