The great APS rat swap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just getting in to the rat breeding now and dont have much that you could call anything but standard, but am willing to swap 3 of mine for 2 of yours, am especially after blues and rex's in any markings, Have included pics of some of my results so far :D

Yep, they are minks not blue. Blue minks still get the mink cap though.

Here are a few blue minks going through their mink cap moult.

DSC_0338-1.jpg

DSC_0356-3.jpg

Blue minks end up a slightly darker shade than blue - blue on left, blue mink on right
DSC_0103.jpg

A couple of comparison pics of minks and blue
DSC_0425.jpg

Dsc_1094.jpg

Saz, may i ask how you get the blue minks? I just paired my blue boy to a mink but i don't think he carries it. If i paired the siblings from that litter, would it be possible then to get blue mink? Is that how it works?

If you don't have a mink that carries blue or a blue that carries mink, cross a blue to a mink and pair the offspring together. 25% will be blue and 25% will be mink, you just have to have that you get one or two that are both mink AND blue :)

My original blue carrier was a Cinnamon (mink agouti), which is how I got mink into the blue line from the start.

This is a ruby eyed blue mink going through her mink moult. Will be breeding her soon, was planning on breeding her to one of my blazed lines but I think I'm going to breed her to a blue boy and keep that line 'pure' as such for a few more gens. Haven't had any bleeding issues which is a blessing but have had a few respiritory issues that have shown up in the last couple of months that I want to breed out.

As a bub
DSC_0609.jpg

Mink moult
DSC_0057.jpg

And as an adult
DSC_0534.jpg

Here's a pic of young blue and blue mink (blue mink on the right) Its amazing how much they darken as they age.
DSC_0303-1.jpg

Those are beautiful rats, I really like the blue minks too! They really hold their own when it comes to beauty. The coats of either are spectacular.

They are beautiful Saz :) I'm hopeless with genetics so you may have me bugging you again shortly haha i'm not sure if it's just your pics or something else that seems to make your normal blues darker than what i've ever seen before?

One of the girls i paired with the blue wedge is an odd eyed white and is definitely pregnant and probably due next week. She was in with headspot cinnamons and minks that looked roughly her age. So i'm hoping she's one of those under the white! Here's hoping anyway :D

No worries, happy to help. Would be fab if she is a cinnamon or mink under her BEW!

My blues are the colour that they show in the photos. They are much darker than the blue that I got from you all those moons ago. The blue that came from you is actually in one of the comparison photos, you can see how different she looks to my blues.

I saw her! That's what got me thinking haha.

The really annoying thing about OEWs is the fact there's so many colours to choose from with both the ruby and black eyes.. :(

I know, BEW and PEW are a pain the **** if you are breeding for colour :s Have my fingers crossed for you anyway :)

Haha you did too :p

I'm itching for her to hurry up and pop already! Lucky for me, i wasn't aiming for a particular colour with these pairings, more going for healthy blue carriers. Mink is an added bonus though haha

Anyone willing to freight some of these oddities down to Melbourne ?

I'm quite happy to freight if i have what you're after, and you may only have to pay a few dollars too since i have about 2-3 other people more than happy to split the cost. It's now just a matter of having enough for everyone haha

Which oddities are you talking about? The blue mink, blue, or OEW?

Blues and variegated would be nice

Saz do you breed anything with a color morph ? :lol:

:p Love my ratties, and looooove blue. I'm one of the crazies that breeds them as pets, not food ;) If only beardies and geckos came in blue in this country!

almost time for me to get some new rats off people, I'm after
blue
blazed
selfs
BEW
rex
young ones are fine, both sexes,
let me know what you have or what you have coming, and how much you want for them

Hey hey! The APS rat thread is still going :) As long as I'm breeding lots of rats I figure I might as well keep at developing cute and interesting ones. I've been playing around with some of the same things I used to, like blazes and hooded patterns, and over the last six months I've been working on making piebald/spotted/Dalmatian or whatever you want to call them. I've also just started breeding blues and chocolates.

I really struggle with rat photography. If you think herps are tricky, try rats and you'll stop complaining! :lol: Baby rats are a bit easier than older ones. I don't know how Sarah manages to keep getting such good ones, very impressive.

Dalmatianlitter.jpg

Dalmatianlitterbabies.jpg

Dalmaboys.jpg

Patchboy.jpg

PatchRatRatRattyonholiday.jpg

Flameflamesheisadame.jpg

Sdaji - your dallie line is coming along so well!! Well done! Any chance of posting some pics of your blues and chocs?

PS - Sorry I haven't replied to your PM, I've had glandular fever. But, really appreciated the info, thank you! Will reply in detail this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back