Turtle breed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrElectricity

Reaction score
We have inherited a young this season turtle he is less that 50mm shell diameter and was kept in a 2 foot tank so I assume he is under 12 months old and not stunted. It has been a very long time since I kept turtles and back then they were only Eastern Long Necks. I need a little help to identify him as I don't know if he is a Saw Shell or a Murray Short Neck. Once identified I will better be able to care for him. Also I will need to ask about licencing, what is required and who do I apply to? Sorry about the poor quality pic as the little fellow just wont stay still long enough for the photo despite it being winter.

Attachments

• Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 144
It depends on what state you live in, usually you need to have a permit/ licence and your turtle should come from a licenced trader/breeder.

I've not kept saw -shelled turtles. however the juvenile turtle should have a serrated edge on its shell and its plastron (underneath part of its shell) should have distinct marking.

Your turtle looks more like the Murray River turtle.

Its a bit tricky to photograph those little turtles.

I haven't seen a saw shell but your lil dude doesn't look quite right for a short neck. I might be wrong though.
Pic is short neck on left, long neck on right.

Attachments

• shortneck turtle 001.jpg
    shortneck turtle 001.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thanks heaps I will go with the assumption that it's a Murray. I will Post a pic of the turtle tank we come up with. Should I contact National Parks and Wild Life about a licence.

That is not a long neck springerduck. These are long necks. There is quite a difference. I am now sure your turt is a Saw shell MrE..........:lol: I think!
PS The head is different & the shell is more jagged at the back. I have a pic of a short neck head somewhere...I'll look for it.

Attachments

• Turtles May 2008 007.jpg
    Turtles May 2008 007.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
This is a Short neck. Does it help??

Attachments

• Turtles May 2008 013.jpg
    Turtles May 2008 013.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Turtles May 2008 012.jpg
    Turtles May 2008 012.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 64
The head sure looks like a short neck but the shell has a saw tooth look at the back and is quite ridged in the centre. I tried a couple of more pics but just can't get close enough for good focus.

Attachments

• Turtle 005.jpg
    Turtle 005.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Turtle 004.jpg
    Turtle 004.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Turtle 001.jpg
    Turtle 001.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 83
Look at the rear of your turtle He has very defined jags wheras my short neck does not. Yours is also a darker colour and the sections on the shell [ sorry, I don't know what they are called ] are different. And it looks as if they are both roughly the same size.

Thanks so much kakariki, I will have to check out a breeder I have found at Guildford that has sort necks, or at lease a visit to my vet would be good too.

Could you let me know what you find out please? You have got me curious now! Cheers...

does look like a little murray to me. The baby sawshells ive seen dont have that white/creamy yellow stripe from the corner of their mouth, and the baby murrays i have seen do have a serrated shell towards the back which usually seems to grow out as they get older. I am not an ID expert though :)

If you call National parks they most likely wont let you keep it if it isn't already on a licence, they'll assume it was wild caught. As far as i know there is no way to get a licence and just add it on without having the details of the person you got it off including their licence number..

Ben

Hi MrElectricity,

There is a list of Requirements on my web site which includes a link to the Licensing section of the DECC site.

You'll probably find some answers in the FAQ section as well.

This site http://www.australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au/ will be launched in the next 48 hours or so. You'll be able to get all the help you need from there.

Regards,
Michael.

macquarii, not native to Sydney. Not well fed, quite thin, definately not a hatchling from this year.

Hatchlings from a variety of turtles have that raised ridge going down their back - both freshwater and marine turtles. As they grow their shell changes - flattens, smooths out.

Got a 2 foot tank today with heater and light etc it used to have an Oscar living in it but now it will be an interesting Turtle tank

Attachments

• Turtle tank 002.jpg
    Turtle tank 002.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back