TURTLE found

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Pythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Good find! Poor little thing would have been dehydrated...Looks like she is in great condition though I would have to agree thinking it's not wild.
1ssie unless you have done extencive water chemistry testing I don't think it's a good thing to mess with nature leave them be they are smart enough to move along if the conditions are unsuitable...

He's a biggin'!!

There was a thread a while ago about finding animals and what to do with them - perhaps it's worth putting up some signs nearby just to see if anyone can claim him (the owners, not just anyone ;))?? They're probably missing the little... uh... biggish guy. Once SOFAR get him, I'm not sure they'd release him again? Could be wrong about that, though...

Yeah,but its to far with a road,careless people and angry dogs they couldn't make it,last time one tryed it almost got hit by a car and trust me it smells like beach at one end of the river.But i do understand your point. :)

Cleanliness of the carapace is not an indicator of its being a wild or an escaped pet. Many wild turtles do not have weed growth on them. A good indicator is that the turtle is unphased by people usually this tells you it has been around them a lot. The spots could indicate underlying shell rot. You could try calling your local wildlife rescue organisation. There are a couple up that way.

Maquarie river turtles (Emydura macquarii macquarii) are naturally found in that area according to my field guide

AM, you might upgrade your temp holding tank mate. Thats too shallow, if it falls on its back and cant right itself it'll drown. Twice its carapace length/width in depth is good.
The log isnt nessary for temp holding, it can surface/float. (unless it has ballast issues)

Cool, thanks mate. Fixing now....... Will post pics :)
Should I heat the water to a certain temp. ? I have a fish tank heater?

Maquarie river turtles (Emydura macquarii macquarii) are naturally found in that area according to my field guide

To my knowledge the Hunter river turtle is found in the upper reaches of the Hunter, not in the tidal/saline part of the Hunter that goes through Newcastle. It's clearly not where it's supposed to be and could be any of the various subspecies. I suggest you hand over to one of the local rescue groups as Peter has suggested. I've sent you a PM with local contact details.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back