What Do I Do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
Hi
I have never kept any lizards before and I was thinking of getting some black soil bearded dragons (pygmy). What do people know about these dragons and how is there care different from say inland or eastern? More specific questions can you keep juviniles on sand (I've herd about impaction on the gut?) and can you feed them meal worms, can the mealworms really eat their way out of hte dragon? :?:

I have heard that mealworms can eat their way through dragon's skin. Its better off to fed dragons crix or woodies anyway because mealworms have a high fat content. When I did feed mealworms to my drags I cut their heads off just in case!

I think Sandymegan had black soil beardies so she could advise you about their care, but I'd assume it to be similar to easterns/centrals.

yeah these are the pongona henrylawsoni,
thanks for the info pinki.

By the way I keep my dragons on half sand half astroturf. But they always prefer hanging off their logs anyway 8)

I learnt the hard way that my baby beardeds (barbata) dont do well with mealworms. A day or so after eating them they both had the shakes in their legs and one could hardly move. Took them to the vet and he said that asically they were constipated and gave the really sick one a fluid injection. That night the sick 1 did a big poo and eventually they both recovered. I now only feed the crickets / moths aswell as other non-live food.
PS. my hatchling water dragons seem to be fine eaing the same size mealworms, anybody know why this mite be?

i went to kellyvill pets a few days ago and picked up a pamphlet about a black soil beardie course that they are doinging, maybe you should ring them about it. I think there phonenumber is 96293282

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back