What should i do if?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really need to mow my backyard since it's a jungle and didn't think much of it (I still need to do it) but I recently saw an eastern blue tongue lizard in my front yard and it got me thinking. "The grass in the back is so overgrown that I wouldn't know if there's an animal in the path of the lawn mower until it's too late." So if I accidentally ran a blue tongue lizard or any reptile with the lawn mower what should I do? I'm worried I would get in trouble despite the fact it would be an accident and I would obviously take it to the nearest vet and hope they can take it in at least until the rspca takes it from them or a wildlife rehabilitater can take it. Would that be the right thing to do or is there something else I should do and would I get in trouble for it?

You wont get in trouble for any accident ,if you accidentally injure a reptile just take it to the vet. Same if you find an injured critter on the side of the road . They will treat it even though you don't have a license.
The alternative is to ring WIRES , they have volunteers everywhere who know the vets and the right carers for each type of animal

You wont get in trouble for any accident ,if you accidentally injure a reptile just take it to the vet. Same if you find an injured critter on the side of the road . They will treat it even though you don't have a license.
The alternative is to ring WIRES , they have volunteers everywhere who know the vets and the right carers for each type of animal
Thank you for letting me know. I have autism and I wanted to know what I should do before just jumping straight into it and then causing the injury and panicking not knowing what to do

In most cases, the reptile will take off when the lawnmower starts. Just let it run for a minute, as a warning and then mow slowly. Whipper snippers seem to be a bigger issue. I saw many injuries in vet practice from those, primarily on lizards.

If you’re really worried, you can put on boots and do a careful walk through the long grass, banging a stick as you go. This should scare them off. If you do accidentally injure one, do as dragonlover1 said.

Back