What do people think about crossbreeding blue tongues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danieloflat

Reaction score
I have recently bought a breeding pair of blue tongues a northern and an eastern i am just wondering if people think it is a bad idea to breed and sell the offspring?
he had been breeding them for the past 4 years and said last year she had 24 babies.
please feel free to post what you think although i am not looking to be flamed so don't post if you feel the need to yell at me.
cheers Daniel

l myself am againt's anyone who cross-breeds any sub-species of Blue-Tongue Lizards and any other sub-species of Reptiles.
cross breeding a Eastern with a Northern Blue-Tongue how would you know what temperature to provide to them, and if any do manage to escape into the wild we would not want a Blue-Tongue, that is half Eastern and half Northern cross breeding with local pure Easterns or Northerns out in the wild would we cause not, it will effect the natural ecology of wild population out in the wild.

IMO people only do it to create something that looks different so they can make more money on the side, they don't care one bit about the future of what ever they are cross-breeding at all, and should be bared from keeping any animals on Licence its illegal to cross-breed sub-species of wildlife, unless they are found in the same area together where they would cross-breed natually in the wild.

Last edited:
l myself am againt's anyone who cross-breeds any sub-species of Blue-Tongue Lizards and any other sub-species of Reptiles.
cross breeding a Eastern with a Northern Blue-Tongue how would you know what temperature to provide to them, and if any do manage to escape into the wild we would not want a Blue-Tongue, that is half Eastern and half Northern cross breeding with local pure Easterns or Northerns out in the wild would we cause not, it will effect the natural ecology of wild population out in the wild.

IMO people only do it to create something that looks different so they can make more money on the side, they don't care one bit about the future of what ever they are cross-breeding at all, and should be bared from keeping any animals on Licence its illegal to cross-breed sub-species of wildlife, unless they are found in the same area together where they would cross-breed natually in the wild.

I'm a curious person by nature so i personally would probably give it a shot although under no circumstances should the offspring be sold. Its bad enough we have jags here being bred with anything and everything and circulated around the hobby, we dont need muddied blueys. If you are willing to keep any offspring you produce and not sell a single one then i personally dont have a problem with it.

And reptilian, its perfectly legal as they are the same species

fair enough i see your point, i was just wondering you know. any more opinions? I myself see no problem if they are only used as household pets for the kids and not breeding, they can produce some really nice patterns.

---------- Post added 04-Jan-11 at 08:20 AM ----------

But yes guys i do agree with some of your concerns we do not want to destroy the whole bluey population with mixed breeds.

fair enough i see your point, i was just wondering you know. any more opinions? I myself see no problem if they are only used as household pets for the kids and not breeding, they can produce some really nice patterns

but how would you know what they were going to be used for? Just because someone says they will not be used to breed, doesnt mean they are telling the truth. Its not worth the risk selling them

you have a good point, i guess i will just breed them this season, as she is already pregnant and keep the offspring in my pit. any more thoughts? and also what is everyones favorite bluey and why?

i will definately make no possible mistakes snd they will not escape :) Although if they did my dog would eat them anywway as he sits outside the pit all day everyday hoping for that to happen hah

good luck with it pal, post some pics with results when she drops mate i am curious to see what colours/pattens come out. but as everyone says be carefull and dont sell them

regards mick

ps> anyone with western blueys i am after a pair or more(adults or young)

Of course you can and should sell them, how are you going to keep 20 odd blueys without letting them breed and ending up with another 200 animals?? It's upto you if you want to breed them and sell them.

They will do no harm to the environment and biodiversity compared to what is already happening. The escape and muddying the local gene pool is a nonsensical argument and i don't understand how anyone can beleive it. They will do no more harm than any other sub species escaping into your environment. I guess you could argue that they will do half the damage, if you accept that damage will be done, because they are only half northern.

you have a good point, i guess i will just breed them this season, as she is already pregnant and keep the offspring in my pit. any more thoughts?

You are keeping a Northern Bluey in an outdoor pit in Gippsland??

Will it be too cold and wet for them?

two Xs

genherps2010011.jpg

turtle018.jpg

-IMO people only do it to create something that looks different so they can make more money on the side, they don't care one bit about the future of what ever they are cross-breeding at all, and should be bared from keeping any animals on Licence its illegal to cross-breed sub-species of wildlife, unless they are found in the same area together where they would cross-breed natually in the wild.-quote

Les, you came under fire a few years back for cross-breeding your Darwin Northerns with your Kimberley Blueys, which look nothing alike. Then got slammed for selling them as pure Kimberley Blueys. Calling the kettle black isn't it? Nice to see you changed your tune anyways.

-IMO people only do it to create something that looks different so they can make more money on the side, they don't care one bit about the future of what ever they are cross-breeding at all, and should be bared from keeping any animals on Licence its illegal to cross-breed sub-species of wildlife, unless they are found in the same area together where they would cross-breed natually in the wild.-quote

Les, you came under fire a few years back for cross-breeding your Darwin Northerns with your Kimberley Blueys, which look nothing alike. Then got slammed for selling them as pure Kimberley Blueys. Calling the kettle black isn't it? Nice to see you changed your tune anyways.

Tiliqua, yes l did breed what were my Northern Blue-Tongue Lizards from Darwin and Kimberley Region in 2007, but you cannot say they were cross-breed cause they are all Northern Blue-Tongues - Tiliqua Scincoides Intermedia, l did not cross-breed my Northern Blue-Tongues with a Eastern Blue-Tongue - Tiliqua Scincoides Scincoides, mine were breed only with other Tiliqua Scincoides Intermedia, from Darwin NT and Prince Regent Northwest Kimberley Region WA, so you cannot say l cross-breed any of what were my Northern Blue-Tongue Lizards in 2007.

lf you and anyone else on APS Reptile forum don't believe me that they were not cross-breed, please phone Paul Horner who is the Reptile Curator at the Northern Territory Museum and Art Gallery in Darwin NT, he will know for shaw that they were not cross-breed seeing they all are Tiliqua Scincoides Intermedia.

View attachment 180105View attachment 180102

These were the 2 Northern Blue-Tongues - Tiliqua Scincoides Intermedia that both breed together between July and September 2007, the female you see in the 1st photo on the left is from Darwin NT, the male you see in the 2nd photo on the right is from Prince Regent Northwest Kimberley Region WA.

doesnt matter if they are the same species or even same sub species, crossing 2 forms is technically hybridizing

this post is abit delayed but, i have a blotced blue tongue and if i get alpine blotched blue tongues, could i keep them together, or is this hybridising as well as that northern scenario??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back