what temp for a bird egg

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westhamsc

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
my cat killed the mum and dad of these two eggs so i collected them and i was wondering at what temp i should keep them at? as i am waiting for the animal care person to pick them up in two days any advice whould be helpful.

If you havent tried anything yet they may have already dropped below required temp, perhaps before you found them?, in which case they may not be viable. Id try atleast a bit above room temp, maybe 25c. good luck

i've had the heat lamp on them it's at 27c and i got them after i watched the mum get pulled of the nest by my mums cat

Hey Fuscus, just wondering, have you studied or done courses on wild animals? you sure are a font of info. 40c sounds hot, but i did know that birds can overheat very quickly held in your hand. Interesting.

Wattso, I've kept a lot of animals over the years (far too many years). I also read a lot and observe a lot. As for birds, I've hand reared a few in my time.
And Afro is right, starlings are introduced and a declared species in WA. I would have distroyed the eggs. As for the cat doing us a favour, well, the starlings left are the ones the cat didn't get, so the starling population is slightly more cat proof. Its called natural selection.

Your doing a good thing westhamsc, exotic or not. How do you know what bird they are?

Hes cat killed the parents so he would of got a good look at them :p and I will have to disagree with you here that it is NOT a good thing!

KILL THEM...
Starlings compete with and chase off native birds.
To hatch and release these birds you would only be contributing to the decline in native wildlife...

Yeah but how do you KNOW they were the parents...They could've been other birds...Did you find the nest abanoned with no bird in sight or did you see the cat kill the parents on the nest?

the eggs are gone the wildlife carer came and got them she said i keep them at the right temp of 28c so there we are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back