where and when do geckos come out?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydro noun15

Reaction score
hey all
im interested in geckos as well as snakes. and am visiting my grandma in manyana (near nowra) and am waiting in the dark with a light on, and no insects have come yet so no geckos are either.
i was wandering if there is a season that geckos come out to eat.
any other vital info would be great
by the way not in search for any species!!

thanx alot , hydro:)

G'day mate,

You won't have much like finding anything reptilian at the moment. As you know, all reptiles are ectothermic, which means they get all their body warmth from external heat sources.

Most geckos rely on warm ambient temperatures for them to be active at night time. It's winter at the moment, and night time temperatures in Nowra would easily be below 15 degrees. I have found a few different species of gecko in the cold, including an Eastern Stone Gecko last year at 12 degrees, but don't count on it!

Cheers

Jonno

yer i was sort of hoping on a stone (wood) gecko but if that isnt realistic i will just wait for somethin else.
thanx heaps for the info:)

hydro

I found atleast a dozen Gehyra dubia tonight on one Public Toilet block about 1 hour ago, aswell as Brown Tree snake and a lacie, and its pretty cool tonight so you never know your luck.

Try public toilets in national parks etc...

It is quite easy to find all four Sp. of Sydney gecko's in one night, do your homework, join a herp society and learn where and when to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back