Where To Keep Snake During Paintjob?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I have a spotted python who is a few years old. Our landlord has decided to paint the house, so everything needs to be pulled from the walls and moved, etc.

We have nowhere to put the terrarium besides where it is now, and I'm going to take a wild guess and assume paint fumes aren't good for snakes. I have a decent sized tupperware container that I poked holes in and have a pillowcase inside for when I clean his terrarium out.

Am I alright to keep him in there with a small dish of water for the duration of the time the painters are there until the walls are dried? I have a heating pad that I can use on one side for him. Or would it do to just put a heavy blanket over the terrarium and keep him in there until they are done?

So I have a spotted python who is a few years old. Our landlord has decided to paint the house, so everything needs to be pulled from the walls and moved, etc.

We have nowhere to put the terrarium besides where it is now, and I'm going to take a wild guess and assume paint fumes aren't good for snakes. I have a decent sized tupperware container that I poked holes in and have a pillowcase inside for when I clean his terrarium out.

Am I alright to keep him in there with a small dish of water for the duration of the time the painters are there until the walls are dried? I have a heating pad that I can use on one side for him. Or would it do to just put a heavy blanket over the terrarium and keep him in there until they are done?

I would take him away from your place in the tub/pillowcase whilist the painting is being done and also cover his terrarium with a heavy blanket

When the paintings finished I would air the place as much as possible before putting him back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bi-carb soda in a bowl or dish helps to remove paint smells quicker, as does an onion or two cut up.
Can you move the whole enclosure into a garage or shed while the painting goes on?

Bi-carb soda in a bowl or dish helps to remove paint smells quicker, as does an onion or two cut up.
Can you move the whole enclosure into a garage or shed while the painting goes on?
Unfortunately not :/ And as far as I know they are doing the whole house so.... I was perhaps thinking about lending him to a friend for a bit. I do have a much smaller terrarium about half the size of my current one from when I first got him a couple years ago. There is a possibility that I can move him into the small one and see if a friend can take him for a couple days until everything is aired out. I don't really want to take any chances, and if I keep him in the tupperware container for more than a day I am worried that despite a heating pat there will be temperature issues.

Depending on the size of the container, you might have temp issues the other way, too hot, or not enough of a range in temperature. I wouldn't think there would be any issue in not being hot enough, with a heat mat, and living in Brisbane.

Yeah I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I definitely don't have the capacity to move the large one. He did do well in the small one, as I had kept him in it for about a year before I upgraded to the large one. I would rather keep him in the small one at a friend's place rather than in the house with the paint fumes.

An adult animal should be fine in a tub with no heating for a few days as long as there's no food in there belly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have solved your own problem :) leave your Spotty with a friend for about a week, that should make sure all harmful fumes have been evacuated from the house, just make sure you put it in the temp enclosure and feed it about 2 days before the move and the spotty will stay on the heat pad in it's hide for the next 4-6 days digesting and won't even know it has been moved. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back