Wild Rats/Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain04

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all,

Let me just apologize if this has already been done to death but my internet is having issues and I can search anything.

We have a lot of rats and mice at home. Which got me thinking.

We don’t/never have put out poison for them.

My plan. You guessed it, catch them for my pythons.

I’m thinking catch mouse/rat. I will then keep it for at least a week, feeding it and looking after it. My theory is that any poison that may be in its system will either kill it in this time or pass through.

If at the end of this it looks healthy I will humanely euthanize and place in the freezer where it will stay for a minimum of 3 weeks.

From the info I have been able to gather freezing the rat for at least three weeks will kill off any parasites it may have.

And so leaving me with a feed for my babies and helping with the rat problem at home.

Please don’t just flame me with it’s not worth the risk answers, I’m wanting help on making and educated decision so please explain why you give you yes or no response.

Many thanks
Cain

I catch rats for a friend who has pythons. Only thing to do is freeze them to kill pathogens. Been doing it for years, never had a problem. Lately though, his snakes sometimes won't eat wild ones but will eat white/bought ones, dunno why.

I would imagine it would be fine. Have used wild rabbits before but I do tend to steer clear of most wild caught prey items when offered tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back