woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that answers a question I've been gonna ask for a while. Ever since I started breeding woodies a few months ago I've had really severe allergy symptoms to the point where I'm popping pills every day just to breathe easily. I wondered if it was the roaches - I suppose it is! It's getting worse too as they multiply. Maybe if I put them out in the garage it will get better?

i have HEAVY allergies. i was popping an antihistamine everyday, its horrible for your liver... so, humerously i got put on a nasal spray (ROFL) but it works a charm..

;) LOLOLOLOLOL

Actually I seem to have bit of an allegy to woodies and crickets so I have seriously thought of getting a dyson for this task to reduce the dust being kicked around, so if you hear of one secondhand let me know!

I also am allergic, not that bad though, itchy nose that wont go away after I do anything with the roaches. Small allergy to my beardies too.

woodies are funny little crittersss lol
does anyone pick them out with their hands?

so many people have allergies!
do woodies cluib up plastic?

so many people have allergies!
do woodies cluib up plastic?

Mine do.
The fluon stops them getting far though. Lost one in my room earlier, fell out onto the floor when i was grabbing some out for Jazz =/

Im guessing mine have been having bubs, but i havent really noticed.. except the fact that i havent ran out yet lol

How big are they when they "hatch" or whatever they do...

Im thinking of getting another tub, and keeping all the adults in this one to breed . I have alot of adults, need more mediums!

the females (winged) lay long yellow egg sacks, these hatch and the bubs crawl under her wings for a few days, then they run out and eat and grow like normal roaches, at this stage they are about 1mm and are TINY... they quickly grow tho...

for those ordering roaches to breed, i suggest you buy thousands of mediums, or the stage before adults, so you get their WHOLE breeding life, rather then adults near the end of their reletively short life and breeding span.

for those ordering roaches to breed, i suggest you buy thousands of mediums, or the stage before adults, so you get their WHOLE breeding life, rather then adults near the end of their reletively short life and breeding span.

They live for a year as adults and produce many clutches of young, so if you dont get any adults you wont be breeding any. The best way of setting up a colony is to get a mixture of sizes so that there are always new ones coming through to replace the geriatric ones

They live for a year as adults and produce many clutches of young, so if you dont get any adults you wont be breeding any. The best way of setting up a colony is to get a mixture of sizes so that there are always new ones coming through to replace the geriatric ones

if you buy mediums, or the step below, within a week or two they will be sexually mature adults.begin the breedng process, and have a year or so of breeding expectancy.... were as, if you buy adults, they could be adults reaching the end of their life span, as there is no way in telling really. in my experience, buying adults, leads to a shorter breeding starter cycle.

Kirby I suggest you familiarise yourself with this excellent care sheet:
http://www.herpshop.com.au/

You will note the period between molt to adulthood and first clutch is 44 days and it takes around 72-94 days to reach adulthood under optimum conditions. This does not include the time it takes to get from medium to adult.
As a producer of 10's of kilos of woodies I can assure you a mixture of sizes will ensure the quickest build up of a new colony.

Kirby, I'm trying to give good advice to everyone on this forum. You can take it or leave it.

Codered, how many years ago was it that you bought that kilo from me to start your own colony? You obviously have done very well.

Kirby, I'm trying to give good advice to everyone on this forum. You can take it or leave it.

Codered, how many years ago was it that you bought that kilo from me to start your own colony? You obviously have done very well.

It was either 3 or 4 years ago now Bob. That kilo has fed all of my beardies since then and also produces many kg per year of spare woodies.

How many beardies / reps have you guys got going to need kilo's upon kilo's of woodies ??

How many beardies / reps have you guys got going to need kilo's upon kilo's of woodies ??

Good question. I've got a large collection mostly of lizards and so a constant supply of all sizes of woodies is essential. To ensure this the colony needs to be around 2-5kgs depending on the time of year so that when I cream some off they quickly replace. A common mistake is to not keep a big enough colony and then it quickly runs down with many mouths to feed.

Mine do.
The fluon stops them getting far though. Lost one in my room earlier, fell out onto the floor when i was grabbing some out for Jazz =/

Im guessing mine have been having bubs, but i havent really noticed.. except the fact that i havent ran out yet lol

How big are they when they "hatch" or whatever they do...

Im thinking of getting another tub, and keeping all the adults in this one to breed . I have alot of adults, need more mediums!

they are really small
about 2cm or smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back