Frill Neck has gone off Crickets and Woodies out of nowhere.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As per title. For whatever reason. Frill Neck has decided to stop eating Crickets and Woodies. He's about 13 months old. Had him since the beginning of June.

Nothing has changed with his enclosure or conditions.

Not too long ago he would happily be tong fed 30 or so a feeding.

Will still take Super Worms (I limit those to 10 per week and not all in one feeding) and his monthly Mouse. (Last one was about a week ago).

Also just randomly tried a piece of Banana. He went nuts for it.

His temps are 31-34 warm side. Slightly lower on the cooler side. Hotter directly under the basking spot.

Doesn't seem to have any problem with digesting food. Still does his business fine and it doesn't look out of the ordinary.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar situation with any of their Dragons?

Could he be sulking? (But then I would have thought if he was doing that, he'd stop eating altogether.)

Cheers. Toby.

they do that occasionally for no reason I can see. I have 4 and they just do what they want.Although he might be heading for a shed ? Try misting him. They usually only sulk after moving to a different enclosure or moving the furniture around.
Do you feed veg ? try adding a couple of blueberries, all my big dragons go nuts for them

they do that occasionally for no reason I can see. I have 4 and they just do what they want.Although he might be heading for a shed ? Try misting him. They usually only sulk after moving to a different enclosure or moving the furniture around.
Do you feed veg ? try adding a couple of blueberries, all my big dragons go nuts for them

Thanks for the reply.

He's always previously eaten even when shedding so I don't think that would be the issue.

He's been in the new enclosure since... The middle of July (I think) and I haven't moved anything around, so I doubt it's anything to do with that.

Only just recently started to offer him fruit/veg/greerns. Banana pieces. Strawberry tops. Bok Choy leaves so far.

Ate the Banana pieces no worries. Same with the Bok Choy leaves. Had a go at the Strawberry tops but spat them out (possibly too hard to chew?)

I will get some blueberries and raspberries and see how they go. Wouldn't hurt to get some greens too.

The breeder I got him off never fed his Frill Necks fruit/veg/greens.
Mainly Crickets/Roaches/Superworms (Mice occasionally to the Female after she'd laid eggs to put some weight back on.)

I always thought Frill Necks were more of an insectivore competed to Bearded Dragons. But perhaps both I and the breeder were wrong.
(He and I were very surprised that my Frill Neck was eating any sort of fruit/veg/greens.)

Most people think frillies are insectivores, I've had many people tell me that frillies wont eat veg but all my dragons do, I train them from hatching. I feel it's my duty as a breeder to get them feeding early, when there is a bunch together it's monkey see monkey do so that makes it easier to train. They're like my chooks, "what have you got I want some"
In fact out of the 30 + dragons I have only 1 of the ringtails doesn't eat veg but he was a year old when I got him and adults are harder to train. When I first got pygmy beardies, it took months to get them eating veg because the breeder didn't train them.
Strawberries are bitter sweet so maybe it was too tart for him. I tried raspberries once but none would eat them but my son feeds them to his Tiliqua.
Offer some hard veg like carrots or pumpkin (butternut is a favourite) too much soft stuff or fruit is bad for their jaws

I tried some Carrot and Zucchini but he wasn't interested. I'll see how some Pumpkin goes. Haven't had a chance to get the Berries yet.

Would Pigface Flowers be okay to give him? Have some growing on our property. I wanted to double check on here before I actually do.

There's always Sleepys, Blueys, and Eastern Beardeds around during the warmer months.

Pigface produces bright purple, daisy-like flowers and reddish purple fruit that tastes like a fig. The flowers, fruit and the leaves are edible but the fruit is the most delicious part of the plant, and the part most often enjoyed by Indigenous Australians.
Nasturtium is also a good flower for feed, I used to grow it for my beardies. The leaves have a slight peppery taste.
Not sure if you already know, never feed avocado. It is toxic to reptiles and birds

Last edited:
Back