Yabbie colours? WHITE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noongato

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody knows any forums or info on yabbie colouration, as i had a Pure white yabbie (just normal species) it died a long time ago, but the weird twist is one of my other boring brown yabbies had loads of babies, i have since seperated her from them as they fend for themselves and i have noticed that all 200 or so are becoming white just like my old one.
Has anyone ever heard of this colour in the normal creek/dam yabbie?
I have been trying to find info on what influences colours but have only found the standard brown and blue colours - not white.
I will scrounge around for a pik soon of my old dead fella and post it soon.....

Are you sure your old yabbie hadn't recently moulted?
How long did you have it in your possesion?

As for the newborns I think they may still have the soft exoskeletons and this may explain why they look transparent/white.

I had him since he was about a cm long and he lived a ripe old 8-9 years.

Its seems to have everybody dumbfounded. I used to say i had a white yabbie and i always had to invite people over to prove i wasnt full of it. They didnt have much to say after that...haha.

Nah, just a reflection. He had terracotta dark brown/black eyes, when he shed he went kinda see-thru and you could see his guts pulsating in his 'head'
Wish he was albino, that would have been neat.
BTW he died cos the heater n stuff was unplugged while we were away and he just so happened to be shedding when this happened and he got stuck in his shell and stressed till he died. Woops, i was only young then. I wonder how long he would have lived if he didnt die that day.

well hes very interesting whatever he was! :D
will be interesting to see what the babies look like when they get some size about them

Yeh, heres hoping they follow the same colour. Mind you the above yabbie is no way related to the bubbies i have now, so must have something to do with how i raise them. Even the one above was wild caught from a creek when it was about 1cm long.
Actually 'he' the white yabbie turned out to be a 'she' as it was once in berry, but the eggs died cos of the cold water, even so i think they were duds cos they were bright orange whereas normal eggs are dark green.
The mum of the bubs i have now is a standard dam yabbie, so the youngins looked like bright tic-tacs on her back when she was with them. Lets hope they come out white, then ill sell them to fishtank shops.

How do you go about breeding them?
I just got a few plastic 44 gallon mowsers from work which I have cut in half to breed yabbies. I was thinking of adding some bits of cut down PVC pipe for hiding spots.

I have a specific tank for the yabbies as they come and go, as the boys go yabbieing when there drinking and bring them home. I wish they would just throw them back.
I just hold them a while and release them on the family property, but this time they decided to multiply so i kept the mum and released the rest.
Its just a plain glass tank with rocks, and a couple of hides. Nothing special. And tap water.
I dont condition the water and never really change it either. Unless its visibly filthy.
I dont know what i do different. In fact, i kinda neglect them.

Pking - Are you sure? Arnt 'red claws' a different type altogether?
BTW- "mid" is confusing, just put SVL for serval or something. I keep thinking your talking about something completely different than my name. Ha ha ha

Ok, im too slow and just realised you posted a pik of a 'red claw' and it lookes completely different to what i have, which is scientifically called cherax destructor or something, heres a pik of the type i have

View attachment 52637

Not really a cray either i dont think, ill find the name people call them. We just call em yabbies, until recently i thought they were the only ones, obviously not, there are heaps of types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back