Thawing Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeJay

Reaction score
Just a thought, and before i set off a mini explosion, can you microwave frozen rats? i have always put them in a plastic bag and some hot water. Call me impatient if you want...

DO NOT microwave it, it will be cooked from the inside even if it doesn'r appear to be on the outside. If you want it done quickly just put it in warm water.

You can if you want it to explode in the microwave. If you can set it to zap at 90 w -160 w for 30s and drop it in warm water, you can start t and quicken the defrosting process but the longer it is in there the more likely it is to explode. The problem with zapping is that there are trapped gasses in the food which expand as it heats. Be wary of zapping food as well, as it tends to denature some nutrients and minerals, and as pythons do not have the luxury of being able to eat a variety of fruits and vegies, getting the right nutrients is important.

thanks heaps, just thought i'd ask. The thought was to set it to thaw mode, not cook it. I can manage the hot water thing, even if its a little in the dark ages. I need to use technology!!!!

i put 1 in the microwave once and the tail exploded lol it was quite funny to c the look on the misses face but yeh i never did that again

I use a microwave to thaw frozen chicks everyday and with a bit of practice it's possible to do so without cooking or exploding them.

the safest way to thaw rats is to leave them in the fridge over night, then warm them to room temp or above with slightly warm water.

Better make sure i clean up after any mess, finding a rat eyeball in my microwaved soup would be hilarious....

Try using incandescent light bulbs in your microwave, they make pretty patterns.. unlike mice...

Me - I have the luxury of the tropics.. i put the mosue in a plastic, sealed container... leave it on the bench for 20 minutes and it's done.. ready! They I heat it up slightly with a bit of warm water which also removes the smell of me from the mouse so nakey doesn't ever think i am food. Well, i assume that is what the latter does! She seems to like them wet anyhow!

haha i remember thawing my first pinky for my first snake, in the microwave on a bit of paper towel
START 20..19..BANG! POP! haha STOP IT! TURN IT OFF! haha. poor little thing popped off the paper like a peice of pop corn.

just out of curiosity wat do they smell like when u microwave them?

We have one of those bean bag heat packs , its shaped like a big rat , you are meant to use on sore muscles . Just nuke that for 1min then put it on top of Ratcicle for 20 min .

I just put mine in hot water out of the tap until they lose their stiffness and wait until they are body temperature and then feed them to the snakes/lizards wet.

Oh, and they stink when you nuke em because guts go all over the place

depends on how long and age - pinky, pup, adult

Generally if they have been wet a almost a wet dog/urine smell
You can also get the burnt flesh hair smell,
Decaying rotting flesh when they pop

Don't ask me how I know

thanks adbacus for that detailed response! what have i started?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back