Microchipping Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the microchipping idea is a great one however not a standalone solution

I think eventually we will see it in australia.

Though the instant disadvantage is the costing to the owner

However the advantages far outweigh this.

The only people that i can see not being too happy about it are those that are intending on doing the wrong thing.

Having your animals chipped will mean that they can be tracked by the appropriate authorities, which means no more stealing animals from the wild to sell i.e buy a juvinile X snake and take an adult X and sell it.

Also things like people claiming that they have an animal would then be stopped. You give the animal chip number, which could then be checked online with the relevant people and instantly telling you what that number correlates to

I dont think that anything will ever be completely safe, and one fear that i would have with this would be that it may drive the exotic market and illegal market further in the short term.

Though the chipping standalone is a mediocre concept, if it is coupled with other ideas, it would work exceptionally well

D

i think its a good idea

sophie

Last edited:
lol i think if some1 finds a python, they arent going to think:

"Hey look! a python! lets take it to the vet to see if its microchipped!!!!!"

but anyway.....

yeh prob not...but maybe if theyknew there was one in the area that was lost..

I know of a few people who have their pythons chipped- and if you know what your looking for it is very noticeable. Shame we have such strict gun laws in this country because i know damn well how i'd like to guard my animals. Call me harsh but i love my animals very much.

Simone.

I know of a few people who have their pythons chipped- and if you know what your looking for it is very noticeable.

Hi Simone,
Just depends on who does it and how good the are at doing it. I've got several critters chipped, both Pythons and Elapids. I know where the chips are but still have trouble finding them. One of my Scrubbies was chipped prior to me getting it, have the paperwork and everthing, but so far I haven't found it. :D

Its relatively new but we have started doing it in WA....all up it costs about 40 bucks...including the chip and registration with a global register..I think someone would have to be pretty lucky to find there lost snake...but stolen or dumped snakes may be a different matter

Last edited:
Hi Simone,
Just depends on who does it and how good the are at doing it. I've got several critters chipped, both Pythons and Elapids. I know where the chips are but still have trouble finding them. One of my Scrubbies was chipped prior to me getting it, have the paperwork and everthing, but so far I haven't found it. :D

Thanks elapid68, i might just have to find somone who is good at it and get my babies chipped- just in case.

Simone.

i think that its a good idea but also another way for the overnment to make money i.e dogs they cost like 65 dollars to be microchipped so if a snake breeder has 20 babys and then buy law has to get them microchiped and say for example he was going to sell them for 200 he has now just been giving a bill for 60 bucks a snake so then prices of snakes will also go up

The Queensland government controls your micro chipping cost?

I get my pups done for $35.00. I believe here in NSW it is just the Vets expense and database fee. But I could be wrong.

IsK

All our High end critters are done and at a reasonable price because of the amount and the fact that my partner assisted with the proceedure.

Stricter restrictions are warranted to prevent reptilian invaders from gaining a stranglehold.
:lol:
reporters are so funny

I know of a few people who have their pythons chipped- and if you know what your looking for it is very noticeable. Shame we have such strict gun laws in this country because i know damn well how i'd like to guard my animals. Call me harsh but i love my animals very much.

Simone.

even with our stupid gun laws its still legal to use them to defend yourself in your home you just cant use that as a reason for having them. Some time back a bloke in SA killed some idiot who broke into his house, he had to go to court but didnt get in any trouble because he didnt break the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back