Id My Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A young hatchling long neck turtle will have orange or red and black spots on the plastron, and will emit an odour when handled....hope this helps with the ID.
Allan

Thats a Tortoise, not a turtle, as turtles have flippers, not feet. But yeah, its an Eastern long neck tortoise.:p

Thats a Tortoise, not a turtle, as turtles have flippers, not feet. But yeah, its an Eastern long neck tortoise.:p

There are no tortoises in Australia. That is an old term given to our freshwater turtles by Australians many years ago to differentiate between marine and freshwater turtles. This bad terminology "tortoise" led to the death of many freshwater turtles that were tethered to clotheslines and kept in avairies with only a drinking bowl for water.

Please read the first page of the caresheet below:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~expansa1/

Cheers,
Craig

Last edited:
Yeah I was also wondering if someone would pick that up. Nice catch haha.

TURTLES HAVE FLIPPERS , TORTOISE HAVE FEET AND TERRAPINS HAVE SORTA BOTH SO "OVERSEAS IT WOULD BE CALLED A "LONG NECK TERRAPIN" BUT OVER HERE ITS JUST A "TURTLE":|

Last edited:
Just a question..........how did you plan on completing your NPWS fauna records if you didnt know the species you "bought"? Did the seller forget to tell you?

My question is I got this turtle from a friend at work who’s kids could no longer look after or have lost interest in and i have no idea what kind he is ? Can anyone shed some light on what type.. he eats like bull on blood worms etc, how big will he grow do you think, so i can work out tank size

http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?p=751084&posted=1#post751084

I was giving the Turtle as it was no longer wanted or willing to be looked after, I rather see it have a home than released in to the wild !!! Do you not agree, and Yes I'm trying to find this info for my NPWS paper work..

\Thanks for your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back