2 backgrounds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewyy95

Reaction score
ive been working on my diy background for my beardies and i had heeps of spare foam and glue, i had o use the glue soon before it dried out so i decided to make a 2 backgrounds for my 2 ft tanks.

I am deiciding on wheter to grout these ones like my last background or to try pondite, ive seen some good jobs done with that,

While the glue was drying i took some pics, these walls were made in a matter of 45 minutes, and i think they will turn out great once grouted.

Here are some photos and leave some advice and tips on what i could do .

Cheers

Looks great mate can't wait to see more sorry no tips but where does every one get the foam? Lol

foam is easy to get from harvey normans or anystore like that that has packaging and uses foam, some recycle centres also have it at the tip
i even get heaps of it through the boxes of windscreens at work
ive thought about keeping it and selling it all at the goldcoast expo lol

Hey?? Smart idear not going to copy If I was you I would keep and sell there always people looking for it but not to dear as If I really want I can ring up wollies Harvey Norman ect coloudmt be bothered lol if there long pieces for background (flat) then a couple of chunks of foam I'm going to expo I would probley buy some if 1$ or 2 for a piece\chunk

awesome, it looks good! thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I can start mine xD

Looking good.
I plan attempting this myself very soon.
Just need to get some foam and some time, haha

Hey?? Smart idear not going to copy If I was you I would keep and sell there always people looking for it but not to dear as If I really want I can ring up wollies Harvey Norman ect coloudmt be bothered lol if there long pieces for background (flat) then a couple of chunks of foam I'm going to expo I would probley buy some if 1$ or 2 for a piece\chunk

Punctuation dude :p I see the words but they dont make much sense, lol, I can make out some bits, but alot of it is open to interpretation, haha

Last edited:
thanks guys,

I got my foam from a local fruit market , they have so much its not funny.

And these were just a throw up job , ill post a thread of my main project for my beardies. Its a 4ft x2ftx2ft DIY background with a grand canyon theme. Its is taking awhile though. So much fiddling around and stuff, not like these 2 haha :)

I was real bored, so i just chucked on my first layer of grout . Should be another layer on by tomorrow arvo

Last edited:
Looking good.
I plan attempting this myself very soon.
Just need to get some foam and some time, haha

Punctuation dude :p I see the words but they dont make much sense, lol, I can make out some bits, but alot of it is open to interpretation, haha

LOL thats like every text message i get from my teenager LOL

Nice. Is the grout strong enough to support those shelved, im wanting to do 2 4foot high 2wide. though im worried about the strength with it being so tall.

Yes In my bigger backgroun i used rock built structures for underneath gives it ectra strength and then glued and grouted, it is strong enough and with these 2 i glued and the shelves are a size that is strong not to big. If your worried about strength just add a few rocks and what not underneath to give support

Yes In my bigger backgroun i used rock built structures for underneath gives it ectra strength and then glued and grouted, it is strong enough and with these 2 i glued and the shelves are a size that is strong not to big. If your worried about strength just add a few rocks and what not underneath to give support

I'm imagining you could also get slimline shelving brackets, and grout over them, making them invisible, but adding a bit more support.

Its been a while but i have finaly done my 4 layers of grout on the backgrounds.

Today i found some NON TOXIC acrylic paint and decided to give them a layer of paint.

i went over the paint with a wet brush to give it more rock like texture.

The pictures arent working but ill keep trying to get them up

Here are the backgrounds:
- The first one is a darker theme for some velvet geckoes, the first layer of paint is a brown but will be putting more colours into the background to give detail. The colours are going to be to match the lizard in a way.
DSCF0565.jpgDSCF0566.jpg

Now this background is more of a sandstoney look, the effects will show more when i add detial but for a base colour it doesnt look to bad.
DSCF0567.jpgDSCF0568.jpg

More photos will be posted so keep on looking out for updates

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back