2 tanks, 1 thermostat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzi2009

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question or theory-

Does anyone use one thermostat to control multiple tank temps?

If so could both a stimson and woma's tanks be controlled by one thermostat or are the temp requirements too different?
My stimson happily lives at roughly 28-30 at the warm end of his tank and I've read womas would be okay on 30 aswell? So could one thermostat heat both their tanks efficiently?

Or would it not be the best idea...

Sorry for so many questions lately :shock:

Last edited:
I use one thermostat for 3 tanks. Admittedly they contain virtually the same species of snake. The way I see it is as long as the snake has a cool end, and then a place to warm up again, you won't have a problem! Womas tend to go underground to get cool, so why not also allow it an area to cool off?

Some believe you might be putting all your eggs in one basket by risking 3 or more enclosures to the mercy of one thermostat (should it fail)... But if you've allowed space and ventilation you really should have a dire problem on your hands. If you did 4 or more enclosures, a second thermostat could be employed as a fail-safe and set at 35 degrees to over-ride the primary one (not that I've bothered going that far myself, but I have thought of its practicality :p) Anyway, that's just my view on the topic.

i have one thermostat on six identical python enclosures.
i emphasise that the animals are able to escape the heat if something happened and the heat went full to all enclosures.

I've got the one thermostat over 3 enclosures but thats with a heat cord trailed through each under a tile and they're same species and same size enclosures. I had thought about changing to light bulbs but I would have had to buy more thermostats cause the thought of the light blowing in the enclosure that the probe was in would lead to the other lights being turned up to who knows what temp :S

My two Bredli are in identical setups right next to each other, so I run both their heatmats off the one thermostat. Just be sure your thermostat isn't being overloaded. For example, I use a Microclimate 100 Ministat, rated to 100W. I'm running 2x13W heatmats off it, drawing 26W total, so I'm well within the thermostat's capabilities.
As the other's have said, my snakes also have plenty of space to avoid the heat if something happens & the mats stay on.

I also run multiple enclosures off a single thermostat with the main control being by a dimming thermostat with an imit set at about 5 degrees higher as a safety.
I think it is important however to experiment with different heat source wattages and fit the lowest wattage globe that still does the job. It is better to have a globe that runs almost all the time in order to maintain the selected temperature rather than a higher wattage one that cycles or dims constantly. If a thermostat fails to switch off or the heat source fails in the enclosure that houses the temperature probe the lower wattage staying on will not alter temperatures anywhere near as much as a high wattage globe stuck on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back