2011 what stood out for you.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This year has been a bastard. My step sisters brain exploded in may, they couldn't stop the bleeding and after 3 days in a coma they turned the life support off. A few hours later her signs were still there and getting stronger so they rushed her for an MRI and the bleeding had finally stopped. They operated and put her back in a coma. 3.5 weeks later she woke up. She is back living with her housemate and working about 6 hours a week. Amazing.

Then in October a good mate of mine of over 10 years lost his battle with leukemia. He was only diagnosed in December 2010. He left behind a mrs with a 3yo daughter. Sad times.

I have also had my own health issues and spent some time off work and in hospital.

It wasn't all doom and gloom. My partner and I did a bit of traveling. Malaysia and Thailand. Had an awesome time. Can't wait to go back.

So 2011 was a tough year and I'm glad to see the *** end of it!!

Venomdude - wow, congrats on beating cancer, that's an awesome success! I hope it never comes back =D

Being caught in the 2011 floods was a scary, and memorable, part of the yr for me.
as the others have said, the other natural disasters around the world have made you take a step back and realise how powerful nature really is.

a month ago my 'offer' for a double lung transplant came through the day I was meant to go home from hospital.
Unfortunately, after being prepped for surgery and arriving at theatre & waiting for an hour, only to be told that the lungs weren't 'viable'.. that shattered my hopes completely.
Friday 23rd Dec. I received another 'offer' we made the mad dash from home (Ipswich) to Brisbane, only to be told an hour later the donor lungs had started to die off :'( Something just didn't feel right about that night though, like my body was expecting something to go wrong.
3rd time lucky, hopefully. Mum has bets it's going to be tonight, or tomorrow night :lol::rolleyes:

Ohh the new Nickelback album was released while I was in hospital, so that definitely cheered me up!! :D

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2012, and it will not be as eventful as 2011 (in a good way!!)

May the end of 2011 bring you everything you need Trouble!!!

I too have nothing to complain about, life has been very good to me, considering what others have gone through!

I find it amazing....here we are, chatting to each other sometimes every day, or every week and seldom do we know what is happening in each others lives apart from reptiles. I've found my little stimmie a great comfort to me during the last year, just watching him gracefully moving has helped calm me when I've felt stressed, having my little dog cuddle up to me....I'm sure he knows when "mummy" isn't happy or well. Squinty....I'll also be very pleased to see this year end.

This year has brought me my first python.

A hard year of studying, with a well deserved 3 week trip through the national parks of N.T.

Developed an interest in dog conformation. Can't wait until the year is finished also!

I thought i had a crappy year lossing my job and getting a low paid job that i have to do till i find some thing better , but now i see that i have it pretty good .
My highlights would have to be finding a nightjar nest and getting to watch the mother nesting , sitting on eggs and the babies hatching and growing up :)
Also my oldest sons last year of primary school , his of to year 8 next year which is exciting .
Hope you all have a good 2012

I always object to the way most Australians intellectually do not rise above boutique sports.....Most Aussies had never heard of Sir Charles Mackerras, (spelling ??), when he died. All of which is a preamble,(prastava ),, as to what i wish to say was my highlight of the year,...................and by a very large margin,..........................CADEL EVANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well what a year ayy..Mother Nature went abit phsyco on the world. 2011 saw an end to my two year relationship which was hard on me. My arthritis got reallly bad 3 or 4 times, so ended up in a wheelchair and in hospital multiple times...and spent most of the year without my parents who both had to leave for work for about 7 months, so was abit challenging taking care of my brothers and running a household. I took up another course which is Policing, so im doing 2 things which i love but have nothing to do with each other lool. I just want to wish you guys a happy new year. I feel like even though we on here have our disagreements sometimes, its like a second family and i love coming on here and just reading all the new posts and intresting topics which take my mind of things for a while. Its great to see that we have some amazingly courageous people on here who have dealt with trauma, disease, heartbreak and yet look on the bright side and fight another day. Everyday heroes in my eyes. I try to never let my disease put one over me, but its very difficult sometimes when everything seems to go against you. Im abit sad that i wont have my mum around this NYE, and hoping she has a good group of friends on Christmas Island to celebrate with her. Ill raise a glass and say a prayer to everyone tonight and hope you and your families have an amazing night and please stay safe... Now lets forget our troubles tonight and enjoy :)

Keep believing Vdude! 5 years and counting for me....Best wishes, Trouble!!!!!!!!!!

"THE ASHES":):):)

good to see most people had a great 2011. proble the worst year iv had to be honest but hopefully everything changes for me in 2012. good luck to you all and all the best for the new year.

The qld floods were a definate stand out for our family because at the time my 2 teenage sons were up there visiting mates at Grantham, they left the night before the flood hit but we didn't know that so it was a stressful time to say the least. I think the majority of us will forever remember 2011 as the year of terrible natural disasters:(
On a much happier note I found out i'm going to be a nanna soon so that's the most exciting news I've had all year, 2weeks to go & my little grandson will be here;)

3rd time lucky, hopefully. Mum has bets it's going to be tonight, or tomorrow night :lol::rolleyes:

New lungs for 2012 - that would be a great start to your new year. Good on you, Trouble, and good luck.

Wasn't 2010 an even worse year for deaths by Natural Disasters?...Chile/Haiti come to mind

But yeah 2011 was a pretty depressing year....Hope for a better 2012 for sure.

Glad I don't live on a fault line...If an earthquake can do that to a highly developed nation like Japan...it can do it anywhere by a fault line..

Thanks to a very generous friend, my family have had a huge change in our lifestyle which promises to try and lead us to a happier life and more financially stable. So far, everything is looking good. More work but its worth it. THANK YOU!!!! :D

Everything.

young people

"makes the Skippy noise" :)

Wasn't 2010 an even worse year for deaths by Natural Disasters?...Chile/Haiti come to mind

But yeah 2011 was a pretty depressing year....Hope for a better 2012 for sure.

Glad I don't live on a fault line...If an earthquake can do that to a highly developed nation like Japan...it can do it anywhere by a fault line..

No matter where you live cobber s##t happens. Being alive beats any alternative. If you follow the media you will always find it depressive. It's what they focus on. it's what we react to. Measure your own life by what is good or bad to you, dont be told!

I really enjoyed 2011, had some good things and some bad things. There are cancers and sunsets. Dont lump them together.

Last edited:
For me the floods was big, being in Ipswich the aftermath was just unbelievable but the community spirit was outstanding.
But by far the best was a small group of people mostly from APS who got together for a fund raising day and raised a fair amount of cash
From raffles and auctions with goods donated from the best of people on this site the sponsors.
Gave everyone (bar a couple wingers) a warm feeling inside.
Low light bidding 350 bucks for 800 bucks of tattoo work that was never made good on. Bastard

Last edited:
i would like to add to this i am also going to be a farther end of march ...
Congratz to you and your other half

I did a bit of travel in 2011, Queensland twice, Bali, Darwin, Thailand, few camping trips. My boy had his first trip overseas when we did Bali.
Hardest year of uni so far!
Bought my first snake at the beginning of 2011 and now I have 7
My sons last year of preschool, he's starting Kindergarten this year
Chicken pox was pretty terrible, now I am scarred for life
Finally knowing what I really want to do in life career wise
I learnt to have more patience, especially with my son!

Obviously all the natural disasters stood out..although I wasn't directly affected by them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back