45C in Melbourne tomorrow - put out water for the native animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With the heart warming pictures of koalas sitting in tubs of water and drinking from cyclists water bottles we are intending to put out a few bowls of water for passing animals.

We had dead possums just falling out of the trees in our yards. While cycling home from the office on one of the hot days I saw (apart from more dead possums and birds) a ring tailed possum drinking out of a creek in the middle of the day. That and the other pictures of the Koalas gives me the impression that some animals might make use of any water on offer so we will be offering it.

Is anybody else thinking of doing the same?

Was sent a email from a friend that sent me pictures of a koala sitting in a tub of water.Feel sorry for you guys down there,and all the animals that dont have airconditioning.

We don't get many native animals around our house and the introduced ones steal from the chickens.
We'll have something out for the Honeyeaters

Per

last week whne we had the 3 days in the 40s...the amount of ringtalls falling out of trees was horrible...i work at a golf course near the beach and on the way to work i saw 14 dead... some members took out some water to the ones that were in shock on the ground

I have just finished putting a few tubs of water around. I will do a few more tomorrow on our watering day.

i have a possum who comes to my back door and is guttsy enough to come in to the laundry trough if i let her ,

Its another stinker here in Adelaide (in the 40s AGAIN!), and I've got icecream containers out for the animals. We mainly get birds here @ our place. I've also put out a shallow one for the blue tongue.

There's a change on the way so you guys should get it in a few days.

The weather is so crap down there, atm its 45*c in Melbourne, but 2moro its going to have a high of 23, if its not hot its cold.

yep i have a tub of water out also, im tempted to go down the street and place a few on the vacant grounds ... has lots of trees and bushes etc.

I have bowls out for the critters. I disturbed a Brown yesterday while he was enjoying a dip in one of the chook water bowls! He was looking at one of the chicks with an evil glint in his eye too, lol.
Hot & windy here again today....."sigh".....

I managed to help a poor little bird on Saturday, black/yellow/white... An adult, but obviously not coping with the heat... He was sitting in the MIDDLE of a main road, all the cars tearing past and nearly hitting him on the hot road.

I stopped in the middle of the road, put the hazard lights on, and just grabbed him up in a t-shirt i had in the car. Took him with me, set him in a friend's shed with some water. He sat gaping with his mouth open for an hour, then looked a bit better, and 2 hours later was flying aroung in the shed, so we pointed him towards a tree and he flew off. Poor thing, he was this close to dying on the road, all it took was a quiet cool place and some water.

And if you still have the stomach for more photos: http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/2009/02/07/1233423551136.html

... and while I am at it I feel obliged to post this link also: http://www.theage.com.au/national/bushfire-appeal-launched-20090208-80x6.html

My heart goes out for who have been effected by the heat and fires. A really sad time for all.

Check this link...it shows photos of Victoria and the koalas http://news.ninemsn.com.au/slidesho...x&subsectionid=150966&subsectionname=bigfires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back