6 month rule

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilegirl

Reaction score
g'day all
just wondering if the 6 month rule applies to all sates or is it just NSW..
for thoes of you who dont know what the 6 month rule is i'll tell ya ;)
any reptile you buy from another reptile keeper must be held for 6 months before you can sell it to another reptile keeper.. this does not apply if you breed them yourself.. you dont have to wait the 6 months to sell them...
cheers
Megz

I think it exists mainly as an attempt to prevent people buying and re-selling animals they didn't breed themselves for profit on a recreational licence.

re 6 month rule

scotchbo said:
i dont think that applies in nsw i think we have a 6 week rule
6 months in NSW scotchy :)

Reptilegirl said:
hey HT
would the 6 month rule apply to thoes reptile that you dont need a licence for? i guess it wouldnt...
Megz

I guess that it actually does but it would be impossible to police because no records are kept unless you have a licence.

I put out "off licence" species on my return after the department guys suggested we should at a VHS meeting but I don't record from whom I got them as in many cases I don't know all the details and many of the suppliers did not have a licence (as they did not need them).

re 6 month rule

zulu said:
scotchbo said:
i dont think that applies in nsw i think we have a 6 week rule
6 months in NSW scotchy :)

Woah! I had no idea such a rule existed. Will make me extra certain about whether I can take care of a herp before buying one now.

In SA, it's 6 months, unless you own a Fauna Dealers Permit (for about $800 a year :shock: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back