8 week old BD just vomited

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

repti

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Our 8 week old bearded dragon, Frankie refused his crickets this morning which is the first time I've known him to refuse food. He was sitting awkwardly and then about half an hour ago, he threw up a mostly undigested cricket - It was huge!

I feed him crickets to match his size, I was pretty sure the general rule was that it shouldn't be bigger than the gap between their eyes?

This one definitely was too big. I'm guessing it was just a really big one in the wrong size box? Does this ever happen to you guys? I have bought the small boxes before and had some in there that were more medium sized. I didn't see it in the box, I suppose it could have been one that like hid away in the tank for a week or so - is that possible?

Also, after he threw up I gave him a warm bath and then some water and now he seems to be sitting normally again. I havn't tried offering him any food yet - He can see the crickets in the tank but doesn't seem interested just yet. I don't want to force him to eat if he doesn't feel well.

What else should I do?

I would just keep an eye on him and see how he goes for the rest of the day, if he is still looking a bit off tomorrow give Shane Simpson at Karingal Vetrinary Hospital a call. It has been so hot in Melbourne the last few days, my lizards have been a bit on and off and the blue tongues at work have really been suffering. Don't panic just yet, especially if your thinking the cricket was too big.

Hey mate just be sure to keep his basking spot up from 35-40degrees and good access to uvb light. Apart from this I think you are doing all you can. For small dragons small crickets are the best as their shells are really soft. Also be sure only to feed him once he has warmed up for an hour or so and let him digest food for an hour or 2 after his last feed of the day :)

Did you leave the crickets in the enclosure??? Never leave crickets in the enclosure, they are nasty buggers that when the lights go out and the temperature drops.. they turn on your beardie. Because your beardies body temp drops, he doesn't feel them biting.

What is his basking temp? II would increase temps to between 40 and 43 basking. Do you have a temp gun?

My beardies have always thrown up if i feed them to many meal worms and it stinks to no end, i wouldnt worry heaps. Just keep an eye on him. Like some people some beardies have a bit of an off tummy sometimes. Its when a python chucks yo have to start to worry.. P.s. Sorry bout the caps lock lol

Hey guys - Thanks for all your advice.

Yes i do have a temp gun, The hottest point on the basking spot is 43.2 and the main bit he uses is 42.4

The cool end is from 23 to 25.

I'm hoping it was just that the cricket was far too big. I'm just really glad it came up instead of getting stuck in his gut or something.

In regards to leaving the crickets in there, I normally only feed him 4 at a time and then we sit and watch him chase and eat them. I'm guessing that we must have missed one a while ago and it grew into cricket-zilla in the tank.

I've been keeping a close eye on him and he seems ok, He's just laying on his basking spot resting. Occasionally shutting his eyes and then opening them to check what the noises are. He seems better than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back