9mth beardie lays 20 eggs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont be suprised if she produces another clutch or 3, They are able to lay up to 4 fertile clutches from the one mating!

Realisticly you should think about what Lizardlady posted above, Plus the fact as hatchies they will require one hell of a lot of live feed to the point where they will eat more than they are worth dollar wise!

what do you suggest he do with 20 CBD eggs that MAY or MAY NOT be viable????

there have been people offering to buy hatchlings and i for one would take one (as a last resort of course) but they can be sold on places like gumtree (god i love gumtree), trading post, herp trader etc

theres endless possiblities *facepalm* just have to think outside the square a little

They are worth nothing! Even wholesale they are nearly worthless, its unfortunate but they are extremely simple to breed and every man and his dog has turned out about 100 times or more of what the market can handle!

Not incubating is a viable option!

Last edited:
i dont understand why so many people being so negitive about this topic, im pretty sure that they sell and that she would be able to feed them . I know i would but two, ive seen people searching for them on net more and more

its more the cost of it matt, hatchies are a big time consumer and big money eater, as well as the beardies were too young and that can harm future clutches as well as the mother. our concerns are for both breeder and beardies. like i said, i'm happy but you can't just throw out possibly viable eggs into green waste or something because they'll hatch anyway so if not incubated then they need to be frozen for a while, if incubated then the OP needs to be prepared for the time consuming part of the hobby...feeding and cleaning.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out if you do go ahead and incubate them all.

Dont be suprised if she produces another clutch or 3, They are able to lay up to 4 fertile clutches from the one mating!

Reptiles are so amazing.

i am not worried about the money its the fact that the eggs are fertile and have a chance of hatching, i had no intention of breeding them and still dont in the future but these things happen some times and you cant just ignore it..
i will keep you all posted.

k

They look like nice healthy eggs. You can try candling a few. A small torch in a dark room is an easy quick way to check for viable eggs. If its nice and pink inside filled with blood vessels, it's good. If it glows yellow, good chance of a dud.

I find some peoples views strange on not incubating. Imagine your first clutch of eggs (whether it was an intentional breeding or not), you'd be so excited to see what eventuates from your animals. I understand that they take up a lot of time/room/money, but excited herpers always find a way.
Free to good home is always an easy way to rehome animals too. I have a hunch, there would be more than 20 people on here that would like some extra dragons.

Good Luck K, there's nothing better than your first clutch.

i am not worried about the money its the fact that the eggs are fertile and have a chance of hatching, i had no intention of breeding them and still dont in the future but these things happen some times and you cant just ignore it..
i will keep you all posted.

k

Really hope they hatch , I can't wait intill mine have baby's :) just need to get my self a male :) it be so exciting

I reckon if you don't incubate them yer nuts. Breeding season has finished for the year and by the time they hatch (if they hatch) people will be screaming for them. Not only will you not have any trouble getting rid of them, in the offseason they should fetch $60 - $70 each . Beardie hatchlings are an absolute buzz and it is an incredible experience that I strongly recommend. Having said that, don't underestimate how much food these little buggers eat. If all 20 hatch they will each be consuming up to 40 small crickets a day. 40 crickets x 20 lizards = 800 per day. Multiply that by 7 and your looking at 5600 crickets a week. Even if you buy them in bulk from an online supplier, your not gonna see much change out of $200 a week just for crickets. If you are a good person and want these guys to have a fighting chance at survival you will want to hold them for at least 3 weeks. There goes 600 bucks in food and you haven't even sold any yet. You are gonna want to house them in groups of ten at the absolute most unless you want to see toes and tails start disapearing so that means two tempory enclosures. This can be done fairly cheaply with a couple of 60 lr storage containers with 4 hanging fittings for compact UV bulbs and 60w heat lamps. They will also need night time heating due to the onset of winter so just switch the heat lamp with an infrared lamp at night and switch it back in the morning. There goes another 200 bucks for housing. Don't want to scare you but its only fair to let you know what you are getting yourself into. Of course if they are infertile you could always make yourself a nice little omlette...
PS. If they are fertile and you decide against it, chuck em in the freezer for a day before you bin them just to be sure.

Last edited:
if your not set up to handle lots of hatchies and dont breed your own food, bin the eggs now. sorry that sounds harsh. but you could end up with 60 or more hatchies. nothing worse than breeding then letting them die because you cant supply them with enough food to live while you find new owners

Last edited:
I reckon if you don't incubate them yer nuts. Breeding season has finished for the year and by the time they hatch (if they hatch) people will be screaming for them. Not only will you not have any trouble getting rid of them, in the offseason they should fetch $60 - $70 each . Beardie hatchlings are an absolute buzz and it is an incredible experience that I strongly recommend. Having said that, don't underestimate how much food these little buggers eat. If all 20 hatch they will each be consuming up to 40 small crickets a day. 40 crickets x 20 lizards = 800 per day. Multiply that by 7 and your looking at 5600 crickets a week. Even if you buy them in bulk from an online supplier, your not gonna see much change out of $200 a week just for crickets. If you are a good person and want these guys to have a fighting chance at survival you will want to hold them for at least 3 weeks. There goes 600 bucks in food and you haven't even sold any yet. You are gonna want to house them in groups of ten at the absolute most unless you want to see toes and tails start disapearing so that means two tempory enclosures. This can be done fairly cheaply with a couple of 60 lr storage containers with 4 hanging fittings for compact UV bulbs and 60w heat lamps. They will also need night time heating due to the onset of winter so just switch the heat lamp with an infrared lamp at night and switch it back in the morning. There goes another 200 bucks for housing. Don't want to scare you but its only fair to let you know what you are getting yourself into. Of course if they are infertile you could always make yourself a nice little omlette...
PS. If they are fertile and you decide against it, chuck em in the freezer for a day before you bin them just to be sure.

Thanks for all your advice,
i will be taking any advice on board and i am willing to do what ever it takes to give these guys the best chance to make it through.
i will also be setting up a cricket breeding box in the next week.

a couple of pics with the new incubator. i will be keeping a very close eye on them.002.jpg001.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

He has already forked out for a new incubator so I doubt money is the problem.
It was more of a suprise than anything, It's probably an excellent learning curve on caring for them. Plus he has 60-90 days I think it is to work out and plan a strategy for when they are born so its not like the end of the world. He could easily set up crix breeding bins by then (I rather roaches but they take a bit longer to start) and not only that he has all of us wanting him to do well and offer advise as needed.

I think it's excellent, as long as the mother is in good condition and not malnourished etc then there is no reason to yell at him for breeding them. I bought 2 hatchies and housed them together, lucky roll of the dice they were both female!

Good luck, yes they will eat a LOT of crix and vegies (mostly crix) but I'm sure you know the heating and husbandry requirements. You do not need to separate all 20 babies into separate containers, most would house in 2-3 tubs to avoid biting but many breeders (some I have seen) store them all in 1 big tank... just keep us posted! :)

What if they don't sell? Something to think about before you incubate those eggs.

no need to worry about that , i sold my 2 clutches last year $20 each dragon . the guy came from victor harbour SA to buy them [ i live 1 hour S.E of melbourne ] , i must ad he came over twice [ once per clutch just to get the dragons ] sell them at a good price and u will have no issues with selling them to even cover feeding and heating costs .

Happy to help Kristian. Keep a close eye on your girl and give her plenty of fluid for the next few days. Breeding at this early an age most probably took a lot out of her so put heaps of calsium on her crix for egg production over the next few weeks in case she multiclutches. Carefully candle a few eggs in a week or so and if you see blood vessels yer in business. These guys need to be fed three times a day so if they are fertile book yourself a few weeks holiday two months from now so you are there to deal with it. Now get ready for a long painfull 2 month wait over which you will probably look in the incubator 100 times but the time you look in there and see a head sticking out of an egg is a surreal experience and will make it all worth while. Keep us all posted...

You do not need to separate all 20 babies into separate containers, most would house in 2-3 tubs to avoid biting but many breeders (some I have seen) store them all in 1 big tank... just keep us posted! :)

??? From the age of three months, some younger, there are noticable signs of aggression and territorial dominance, so yes, from that point on they WILL need to be separated, no "if's", "buts" or "maybe's"... For the health and well-being of ALL of the hatchlings...

and if they want they're widdle tiny toes and a full tail.

Good luck :)
Maybe we could set up a 'Sponsor the Beardie Baby' programme...not just referring to this clutch of eggs, but any that may need extra funds for food/housing. That way we can raise one of the hatches while they are still with the breeder, by giving a donation, and possibly adopt it when it is ready for a new home :)
Haha if only :-D

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all of your information, well wishes and concerns. (and thanks to those defending us against the 100% pefect herp keepers who never have a problem or fault with their herp keeping.)

money isnt a problem for us (profit or cost of maintenance/keep), we are mostly concerned with the welfare of the mother and the feotus's in the eggs.

we will keep you posted and if/when we get itty bitty beardies, will post some pics. Judging by the responce we have had from people on here, friends and neighbours, there will be no problem rehousing when they are ready to go.

Hey all,
So it has been a week since lightning layed 20 eggs.
this morning when we got up we checked for veins in all of the eggs, to my suprise they all have veins running through them which is great and exciting.
we also have our cricket breeding tub up and running to get ready for them hatching,
fingers crossed it all works out well in the end.

a terrible pic i know but if you look close enough you can see the veins..

pencil.png
003 (2).jpgView attachment 202336

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back