A BIGGGGGGGGGGG Beetle!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCHERPS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen a beetle this big before?

It's a Goliath beetle from West Africa.

Goliath_beetle.jpg

Neil

Thank gawd we dont get them here, or I'd have to work on the moves in my girly gedidoffameee dance I do when things like christmas beetles get in my house.

My six year olds response: "whooooooooooa can I have one???"

Thanks for sharing Neil :) . Does anyone know the biggest bug in Australia?

How did you get a hold of that one Neil out of curiosity?? Are you allowed to keep them or was that photo taken overseas? :)

Hi Diamond-python, The photo was taken oversea's, not mine unfortunately!

Geez, there's some awesome critters in the world isn't there?

Neil

incredible, its larvae are huge too, must make great lizard and small mammal food! :D

A friend of mine (the one from the notorious turtle thread) has a few of those, along with a few similar species. Unfortunately we're only allowed to import them dead, so we can't keep live colonies of them. Surprisingly (so I'm told), Australia now allows the export of live insects, but the sun will probably fail to rise before we're allowed to freely import them.

And yeah, what Dicco said :p
The longest insect is usually said to be Acrophylla titan (A phasmid) although similar to snakes, there are many unreliable reports of much larger phasmids.

sorry, that should read "...longest insect in Australia...."
(although some claim it is also the longest in the world, which I don't believe)

When i was in bouganville there were beetles the same size if not bigger. And when you got close to them they hissed by taking in air under the wings and pushing it out again. First time i went to pick one up i didnt know about the hissing and it did just as i grabbed it, and yes, to see a army dude on operations nearly crap himself was very funny for others. Crazy beetles they were, some of them had a huge set of pincers on the front. Very interesting beetles for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back