A few gecko questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogdor1988

Reaction score
Now.. There are a few sp i wish to ask about, first off how big do Giant cave geckos (Pseudothecadactylus lindneri) grow full length not snout to vent, and do they need u.v? Second question, which of the leaf tail gecko species has the best heat tolerance as ive heard they cant handle high temps and it reaches high 30's quite often and occasionaly 42 or so at my place in the hotter weather. (Not sure if its true but i heard there not good at handling temps like that?).

Cheers
Steve

Ginat caves get to 3ft. There are restrictions on keeping them as they can be quite dangerous.

:D

And I'd steer clear of leaf tails (like I have) as I don't have air con to keep temps nice and low.

-H

Any serious replies? I've heard 100mm snout to vent so if they were 3 feet long im pretty sure there body wouldnt have the power to swing there tail hard enough to be dangers.. let alone to be able to pull the wait of there tail along behind them. I want to know total length not snout to vent.

I have not measured a Giant Cave Gecko but by eye I would estimate around 25cm full length. As they spend there time in cave and crevices only coming out at night they have no need for UV.

Saltuarius Salebrosus seem to be able to handle higher tempertures then other leaf-tails. But if you do not have any way of cooling during the really hot days I would not get any type of leaf-tail.

Hi
I previously kept GC geckoes, mine were all about 100-120mm svl. I never used UV on them. However there is no reason why you shouldnt use it. My experience with them didnt require UV, but if your prepared to go the extra effort, its not going to hurt them, so why not use it.

As for Salebrosus, they would be the only leafy that will tolerate those temps, but only for a short while. Any prolonged exposure, say more than 2 days will probably knock them on the head. I was keeping Swaini and Salebrosus in my herp room and experienced 2-3 days of 38-42 degree heat, the Salebrosus coped but the Swaini croaked. So did a few friends of mine that were keeping them in the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back