A good starter elapid?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieReptiles10

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys :)
I have been preparing and doing research about getting an elapid for the past 2 years and i think i am ready! Im just wondering what would be the best starter elapid? I have a few friends who keep elapids and they said start with something calmer like a Red belly black or copperhead. But i want find out from the experienced keepers on here :)

What species interest you? There is little point in getting a rbbs if you only want adders.

as junglepython2 pointed out get a species that you have a lot of interst in. in saying that majority of the black snakes make good first elapids. all are fairly behaved with not overly toxic venoms. i only just started keeping elapids myself last sunday but have been working around them all year and do find all the blacks to be good. i ended up chosing a spotted black for my first and am quite happy with the choice.

I've done the same research just in case one day I do get one.... all research I've done point to RBBs or Collettes as being a "forgiving" elapid for a first.

Tell that to my little colletti :p

Whatever you get, I would personally suggest maybe looking at getting an animal that's a bit older. Larger snakes are easier deal with than super quick, defensive hatchies.

Thanks for the info i am very interested in RBB so it looks like thats my choice :)

I would suggest considering a Boiga or Stegonotus.

Pseudechis are certainly a suitable starter its just the the 2 colubrids above give you more of a margin for error per se.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

as junglepython2 pointed out get a species that you have a lot of interst in. in saying that majority of the black snakes make good first elapids. all are fairly behaved with not overly toxic venoms. i only just started keeping elapids myself last sunday but have been working around them all year and do find all the blacks to be good. i ended up chosing a spotted black for my first and am quite happy with the choice.
Hate to thread hijack but how's your first going? Any tips to ppl looking into elapids?

Aussiereptiles10, any updates or still thinking/researching?

Hate to thread hijack but how's your first going? Any tips to ppl looking into elapids?

Aussiereptiles10, any updates or still thinking/researching?
He is going great, have not had any trouble off him at all. Very calm and easy to work with snake. I have also just recently gotten a pair of eastern brown hatchlings. Best tip I can give is find and elapid keeper in your area to teach you how to safely handle and keep them and also research as much as you can about the species you want so you can make an informed choice about what species you want to keep. The last piece of advice is to never take them lightly and get complacent around them because that could literally come round to bite you one day.
Cheers Cameron.

I have a liking for Death Adders.........Unfortunately my wife does not :rolleyes:

....and my suggestion that I could get us a lovely breeding pair for Mothers Day fell on deaf ears also!.........I was led to believe it is the thought that counts but quickly learnt differently :?

He is going great, have not had any trouble off him at all. Very calm and easy to work with snake. I have also just recently gotten a pair of eastern brown hatchlings. Best tip I can give is find and elapid keeper in your area to teach you how to safely handle and keep them and also research as much as you can about the species you want so you can make an informed choice about what species you want to keep. The last piece of advice is to never take them lightly and get complacent around them because that could literally come round to bite you one day.
Cheers Cameron.

Thanks for the update Cameron,
All good advice I believe, plus I see you got a tick of approval from Saximus which means it must be pretty spot on.

Thanks for the update Cameron,
All good advice I believe, plus I see you got a tick of approval from Saximus which means it must be pretty spot on.

Haha thanks. I'm no expert by any means though. Just liked the points about finding an experienced keeper friend and researching particular species properly. People think that just because Black snakes won't generally kill you, they're safe but there can be painful/uncomfortable long term effects that most people don't consider.
They're very rewarding animals if you give them the respect the deserve though.

I will be getting my first elapid in the next 12 months or so once I have a lockable shed to keep them in, first will be adders, then EB's, then tigers, then blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back